• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what front end??

theres so many as iv seen here:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34218

i just wondered what most people use and why? iv been through a few,
    mediacar is ok but not great
    mobile inpact dosnt work very well and i cant select the right folders for music, i dont wanna import music, i just wanna run them from there current folder..

anyway, what one do you all like?

Originally posted by SteveS
    theres so many as iv seen here:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34218

i just wondered what most people use and why? iv been through a few,
    mediacar is ok but not great
    mobile inpact dosnt work very well and i cant select the right folders for music, i dont wanna import music, i just wanna run them from there current folder..

anyway, what one do you all like?
    Hello there, just noticed that youve tried Mobile Impact, what part doesnt work very well for you? I would like to know so that I can improve it. I know that you cant change the drive letter, but if you just move your files to a directory on the C: drive it will actually save you from having to browse around while your driving. Please let me know. Thank you.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

Well, nothing will ever be perfect, you can install/use a few of them at once, or just pick whatever suits you best.. that greatly depends on your machine, what you want to do and your expectations are ... you'll never know until you try them out... you can typically list the top features and see if they match your needs otherwise go to the next one.
      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Since you're a new user, I want you to remember one thing that I've said a bunch of times on the board: "What works for me may not work for you". In short, to answer your question, simply try them all.

I'm currently in Iraq right now so working on my carputer has been put to a halt. That doesn't mean I can't test software, give feedback, formulate ideas, and just basically plan for when I come home. On my laptop I currently have FrodoPlayer, CentraFuse, Mobile Media Center, RoadRunner, and Mobile Impact loaded. I play with all of them to figure out what I like and don't like about them. Each one has stuff that I like and stuff that I don't like. The stuff that I don't like, I make suggestions to the creators on how to improve it. That's the great thing about the forum. You can simply write "Hey. Add this feature." and perhaps it will get added. I can't wait until the new versions of FP, CF, and MMC are released. (Frodo, Hybrid guys, & David... hurry up... please.)

Just remember that it is YOUR carputer and you should run it the way YOU like it.

Derek
        Progress [||-------]
        View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
        Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

d_sellers, you should try NMC... the stuff that is implemented is light-years away from any other frontend in my opinion...
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
            d_sellers, you should try NMC... the stuff that is implemented is light-years away from any other frontend in my opinion...
            Like...?
            Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

FrodoPlayer for life.
              Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Well, I have now try NMC and attempted AutoTouch. I couldn't get AutoTouch to work because I only have .Net Framework 2 Beta something-or-another but it wants 1.1.???. I want's too impressed with NMC. First thing that I saw when I ran the manager was an error in French but things still seemed to work. Unfortunately, while is looks okay, I ran into bugs and crashes left and right. Another one to add to the list of I'll wait for the next version.

Derek
                Progress [||-------]

Comment

i prefer CF myself. and the speed (although its going to be improved in 1.3) doesnt bother me as my carpc isnt going to be VIA based.
                  Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

It really is up to you to decide what works for you best.

I have tried lots of them but have switched between Frodoplayer and Centrafuse. I've used Road Runner and it sure seems popular but it isn't my favorite. Centrafuse is great but doesn't do XM, so it's got less utility for me. I was using it because it comes with very good voice control built right in but when I began using Bruno Speech Recognition, I switched back to Frodoplayer. That's the one I use the most.

You see? It's really what works best for you. All three of the programs I've mentioned are excellent and any one of them will work for you. Part of the hobby is experimentation.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

hum yeah seams very mixed, i was thinking people would just say, "this one is great, we all use it" kinda comment, guess not.
                      i really only want simple options i.e:
                      MP3s (music)
                      Video (avi etc)
                      GPS
                      Radio (if the utility is good enough)
                      equaliser

not sure i can think of anything else?

Comment

hum yeah seams very mixed, i was thinking people would just say, "this one is great, we all use it" kinda comment, guess not.
                        The thing is, not everyone is the same. RoyN said NMC was the best. I didn't like it. Alot of people like CF, but BugByte doesn't. Just download them all and play with them yourself. (Psst... they're FREE!)

If you want US to make the decision for YOU then get FrodoPlayer. I think that one is the easiest and will accomplish what you want.

Derek
                        Progress [||-------]

Comment

hum frodoplayer isnt bad, but the "menu" screen looks like nothing special, also how do i get videos to play? iv selected a folder of avi's in the settings but cant find a option anywhere to play them :S

ill just keep going though them all till i find one i like
                          cheers

Comment

hum frodoplayer isnt bad, but the "menu" screen looks like nothing special, also how do i get videos to play? iv selected a folder of avi's in the settings but cant find a option anywhere to play them :S

ill just keep going though them all till i find one i like
                            cheers
                            Simply hit the FWD button in the top left corner to cycle through modes.
                            Artist > Album > Genre > Directory > All Music > Video. Unlike some other modes, Video does not appear to be able to be turned off.

Derek
                            Progress [||-------]

Comment

tru that works, but can u remove the menu bar in full mode :-|

Comment

Working...
                              X