Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a big project and i need a lot of minds to help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This is a big project and i need a lot of minds to help

    hello there, yes while i am new to the forums, i do read them all the time.
    i right now am in the process of plannning out carputers for me and my roomate.

    however, this is the tricky part. we have been asking around, but due to lack of knowledge we are at a dead end.

    i have an idea for integrated software for the the GPS systems everyone has.

    here we go:

    1.all emergency personel have radios.
    2.all of these radios transmit frequencies(some passive, which would be best, and some are active)
    3.you can triangulate cell phones right? so why cant we triangulate police and emergency radios.
    4. my roomate has been talking with friends at several tech. schools in CO, but this is beyond their scope.

    point to all of this. if we can find a way to use the radio frequencies of the police officers and the precints, along with other stations they call into( i.e. hospitals, ambulance, etc.) then we can use all of these points along with our cars to then show where they are at anytime on our GPS screens.

    any feedback whatsoever would be helpful.

    thanks,
    spence

  • #2
    so you could know when to speed? lol

    i dont know anything about this topic but it does sound like a good idea.
    my wish list:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...tSignature.jpg

    Comment


    • #3
      well that would be part of it.

      i really want this b/c like a lot of others i tend to have a heavy foot, but i have been driving long enough (and grew up driving in atlanta, so anyone from there will understand, if you learn to drive there, you can drive anywhere and know how to drive fast) to know my car.

      also if there is a site (haven't searched for one yet, so dont crawl down my throat, i have to work in 6 hours, therefore not going to stay up all night looking) that has traffic updates, or frequencies being sent out to the police about traffic, then that info could be uploaded to the screen and you have a relaxing ride home.

      now there is a somewhat downside to this (depending on what side of the fence you sit on) that this could make drug trafficking a lot easier. but with the cool sometimes comes the bad.

      that and i dont like talking with cops. so if i can see them before they see me then i can be mr. law-abiding joe public.

      Comment


      • #4
        (and grew up driving in atlanta, so anyone from there will understand, if you learn to drive there, you can drive anywhere and know how to drive fast)
        so i guess i know how to drive turned 16 here in a-town, 5 years now driving in the atl and only 1 ticket for not wearing a seat belt. knock on wood. im in the gwinnett area. yeah but it's kinda getting hard to speed around rush hour here now, cuase of all the traffic.
        my wish list:
        http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...tSignature.jpg

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by spence3030
          hello there, yes while i am new to the forums, i do read them all the time.
          i right now am in the process of plannning out carputers for me and my roomate.

          however, this is the tricky part. we have been asking around, but due to lack of knowledge we are at a dead end.

          i have an idea for integrated software for the the GPS systems everyone has.

          here we go:

          1.all emergency personel have radios.
          2.all of these radios transmit frequencies(some passive, which would be best, and some are active)
          3.you can triangulate cell phones right? so why cant we triangulate police and emergency radios.
          4. my roomate has been talking with friends at several tech. schools in CO, but this is beyond their scope.

          point to all of this. if we can find a way to use the radio frequencies of the police officers and the precints, along with other stations they call into( i.e. hospitals, ambulance, etc.) then we can use all of these points along with our cars to then show where they are at anytime on our GPS screens.

          any feedback whatsoever would be helpful.

          thanks,
          spence
          It is possible, just as the police use triangulation for tracking LoJack hits. You should for ham radio "fox hunts",for "DFing Signals", and "radio intereference tracking" to get more information.

          Triangulation requires an array of antennas (At least 3, but more is better), they have to be far enough apart, generally a 1/4 of a wavelength (you can search for that as well), you need sophisticated timing device (such as an atomic clock, although you can get away with a GPS signal as long as the time has sufficient resolution) and then computer interface that can measure the time difference in the reception of a signal at the different antennas.

          And of course, you have to be within range of the radio. most PS agencies use repeaters to increase the coverage area of the radio system, however, "triangulating" the base/repeater system will do you no good because they don't move. You would have to receive the relatively low power portable or mobile unit, depending on the system used in your city/town/neighborhood.

          Goodluck, let us know how it turns out.
          Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah, I think the challenge here is the triangulation part. You'd have to have several antennas that were geographically dispersed to do what you're talking about.

            You could, I guess, build some kind of signal strength detector that would let you know when a police cruiser was in the vicinity, but I'm not sure how reliable that would be.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by spence3030
              well that would be part of it.

              i really want this b/c like a lot of others i tend to have a heavy foot, but i have been driving long enough (and grew up driving in atlanta, so anyone from there will understand, if you learn to drive there, you can drive anywhere and know how to drive fast) to know my car.
              Crazy Teenage belief. You think driving in Atlanta imparts some sort of superior driving ability? That is wrong. Just plain wrong.

              According to statistics, while I can find none for ATL, GA in general ranked about 20 in Deaths per mile. So, you still think that GA, or ATL made you some sort of GREAT DRIVER? http://www.unitedhealthfoundation.or...cleDeaths.html

              Come on man, grow up.

              Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

              Comment


              • #8
                no but having two pizza delivery jobs at the same time and delivering in rush hour traffic all of the time will make a difference. im not saying that im the hottest **** on the planet, but i do know that i can drive better than most of the schmucks out there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  you were driving up and down the mountain side delivering tofu in an old school rear wheel drive car every morning everyday in any condition since you were the age of 13 and your father is a legend of street racing and can drive with his eyes closed as well as do everything else with his eyes closed then maybe.... just maybe i'd say you were a bad *** in driving... just maybe...
                  *wink*
                  JWU

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ive thought about this, but the way i thought of would be to rely on the cops system. I figure that in the future if not now they will have gps on cops so that the operator can dispatch cops more efficently. then i thought of tapping into that, which would be highly illegal im sure

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      GPS Map. I am a green dot in the center. Cops are a blue & red flashing dot. I can't wait!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spence3030
                        hello there, yes while i am new to the forums, i do read them all the time.
                        i right now am in the process of plannning out carputers for me and my roomate.

                        however, this is the tricky part. we have been asking around, but due to lack of knowledge we are at a dead end.

                        i have an idea for integrated software for the the GPS systems everyone has.

                        here we go:

                        1.all emergency personel have radios.
                        2.all of these radios transmit frequencies(some passive, which would be best, and some are active)
                        3.you can triangulate cell phones right? so why cant we triangulate police and emergency radios.
                        4. my roomate has been talking with friends at several tech. schools in CO, but this is beyond their scope.

                        point to all of this. if we can find a way to use the radio frequencies of the police officers and the precints, along with other stations they call into( i.e. hospitals, ambulance, etc.) then we can use all of these points along with our cars to then show where they are at anytime on our GPS screens.

                        any feedback whatsoever would be helpful.

                        thanks,
                        spence

                        You do realize that the "tri" in triangulation stands for 3 right? That means you need 3 antennas, and it's a little hard to be in 3 places at once.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wi-Fi baby! As long as there are 2 other people with Wi-Fi enabled CarPCs near you, you got cop scan.

                          Really though, it might be possible to mount 3 antennas on one car. Maybe even 4, one at each corner of the car, might provide better coverage.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RPM_VR4
                            Wi-Fi baby! As long as there are 2 other people with Wi-Fi enabled CarPCs near you, you got cop scan.

                            Really though, it might be possible to mount 3 antennas on one car. Maybe even 4, one at each corner of the car, might provide better coverage.
                            are you kidding? Only thing you'd be able to tell with 3 antennas on the same car is whether there is a cop inside it...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dmurray14
                              You do realize that the "tri" in triangulation stands for 3 right? That means you need 3 antennas, and it's a little hard to be in 3 places at once.
                              Theoretically you could just drive your car around and if you weren't driving in a straight line you could just use three measurements to guesstimate the location based from these measurements.
                              I'd be more worried about scanning for the whole spectrum that the police use and figuring out distance or direction considering the interference from the outside world and everything. There's reflections, dead spots, high vs low ground, high tension power lines, etc.
                              I wouldn't want to be the one to develop the code
                              Old plans out the window because of an accident .
                              Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
                              Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X