Xport 2 and Compass... THE solution for hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xport 2 and Compass... THE solution for hibernation

Maybe i've just been in the dark on this little bit of information but these two programs completely solved my GPS hibernation issues! They're very easy to set up and work with both my pharos 360 and BUB. There should be a sticky or FAQ somewhere announcing this product as the cure for a usb gps! I get pms from newbs about this problem all the time and low n behold the answers been around all along!
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
    Maybe i've just been in the dark on this little bit of information but these two programs completely solved my GPS hibernation issues! They're very easy to set up and work with both my pharos 360 and BUB. There should be a sticky or FAQ somewhere announcing this product as the cure for a usb gps! I get pms from newbs about this problem all the time and low n behold the answers been around all along!
    I wish I could get it to work with my GPS, but it only seems to work about 10% of the time for me. =/

Comment

how do you have it configured? Both of my gps' work 100% of the time as long as i'm using any of xports virtual ports.

Comment

Works great for me too. My only complain is that the data feed from the Compass app, routed to my Navi app (iGuidance) is somewhat more 'jerky' than a straight-thru connection (i.e. without Xport / Compass). Oh, the other complain is that this stuff eats up more of my precious memory, and also bothers me to think I had to find a 'workaround' for what should be a non-issue. Damn MSFT!
        2002 Honda CR-V
        Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
        Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
        ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Great apps, I had problems in the past..
          after the last re-install of everything, It worked fine..

It hibernates great, however Map Monkey tends to need to re-look for the sats.

@ Curiosity. Great app, any chance of you re-working it with more features.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
            Works great for me too. My only complain is that the data feed from the Compass app, routed to my Navi app (iGuidance) is somewhat more 'jerky' than a straight-thru connection (i.e. without Xport / Compass). Oh, the other complain is that this stuff eats up more of my precious memory, and also bothers me to think I had to find a 'workaround' for what should be a non-issue. Damn MSFT!
            I was watching iGuidance with and without Xport today and didn't see a difference. I expected to see a delay watching the data from compass and what showed in the IG diagnostic window, but it was instant (it's not really 4800 baud in XPort). XPort is actually tiny, but compass uses 4MB. I guess it's importance vs. how much RAM it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
              Great apps, I had problems in the past..
              after the last re-install of everything, It worked fine..

It hibernates great, however Map Monkey tends to need to re-look for the sats.

@ Curiosity. Great app, any chance of you re-working it with more features.

Don
              Er, depends on what features and how easy they would be.

Comment

I totally agree. Great apps and should be sticky.
                Regarding to guys having problem from hibernation. This is what I found out. Same version of the apps and same model (2 different unit) USB Earthmate. Using the same type (model) 4 ports, port power USB 1.1 hub.
                My Supra setup with mobo that only has USB 1.1 (2 ports).
                My Matrix setup with mobo that has USB 2.0 and backward compartible (like all USB2).
                In the Supra setup, it works 100% without any problem.
                In the Matris setup, it works about 90-95% of the time. Compass doesn't get GPS info to the virtual ports. Open Compass' config and Close (without doing anything), will get the virtual ports working again.

Switch the GPS, the hub, the result still the same. USB 1.1 ports works 100%, USB 2.0 ports work most the time.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Curiosity:

Any chance you could build a 'light' version of Compass? The only reason I have it running is because it handles the hibernation resume nicely. but I don't even show the compass, or use Skins, or any of that. Should be able to save a few MBs of memory, since Compass eats 4MB as is right now...

For my intended use (and I would have to assume more people are on the same boat), Compass doesn't even need interface or anything...!
                  2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

Sure. I think I can do that. Let's see how small I can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
                      Curiosity:

Any chance you could build a 'light' version of Compass? The only reason I have it running is because it handles the hibernation resume nicely. but I don't even show the compass, or use Skins, or any of that. Should be able to save a few MBs of memory, since Compass eats 4MB as is right now...

For my intended use (and I would have to assume more people are on the same boat), Compass doesn't even need interface or anything...!
                      That would be nice though i didnt really notice any slowing down on my epia 800 512MB with everything running.

Comment

Well, creating a simple "Hello World" project in Visual Studio and running it uses 4.8MB. WTF? Damn you MSFT!

Comment

LOL! So much for that idea! You mean 4 MB memory, of 4 MB file size?

Oh well, At least you tried.

Originally posted by Curiosity
                          Well, creating a simple "Hello World" project in Visual Studio and running it uses 4.8MB. WTF? Damn you MSFT!
                          2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

4MB of memory. 24KB file size. It uses a lot less if I don't open a window, but I need that to get hibernation messages. Argh!

Comment

I need something like this to run both of my gps progs. I downloaded everything on the site, but, am I missing something here, like the documents, where does the files and the compass go?
                              Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                              Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                              AMD Athlon XP 2000
                              Viking 256MB DDR
                              D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                              Seagate 120GB
                              OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
                              SII Wireless Audio Link
                              Digimoto OBD-II
                              Earthmate GPS
                              BU-303 USB GPS
                              D-Link Bluetooth