Hibernate/standby, resume, battery ac tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernate/standby, resume, battery ac tool

I made this tool this weekend, and I thought I would share it with some others on the board here.

It is designed to be used like the Startup folder in windows, you just put shortcts to programs you want to run in it, except that it can also run links when the computer goes to battery, goes to AC power, before hibernate/suspend, after resume, and also startup and shutdown.

I made a vb script a while ago that would disable my touchscreen before I went into hibernate, then re enable it coming back (that is the only way I could get it to survive without physically unplugging it).
    I also had a program run when I went to battery power (I use a laptop) to force hibernation at a specific time (some apps prevent my computer from going into hibernation).

My VB script stopped working for some reason, and I decided to do it right this time.

Anyway, check it out if you are interested http://www.exitzer0.com/

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

nice, very nice.

good work. Will be watching how it goes.

Comment

nice work!
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

What happens if I run a very long script/process upon hibernation? For example, it my process takes 4 mins to complete, will it hibernate after completion?

In general, I think after you initiate a hibernation (or shutdown etc), any process you kick off needs to complete after 30 seconds, otherwise the process will become 'Application not reponding'
        2002 Honda CR-V
        Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
        Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
        ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Just read the ReadMe, which addresses my question...
          * The Suspend folder is processed when you standby or hibernate. The time for this to occur is fairly quick, so make sure that anything in this folder will execute quickly, or it may still be running on resume
          I think I still prefer the Interceptor tool that FRODO has coded. (Search forums if you're interested)

EDIT: FRODO coded it, sorry!!!!

Originally posted by justintime
          What happens if I run a very long script/process upon hibernation? For example, it my process takes 4 mins to complete, will it hibernate after completion?

In general, I think after you initiate a hibernation (or shutdown etc), any process you kick off needs to complete after 30 seconds, otherwise the process will become 'Application not reponding'
          2002 Honda CR-V
          Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
          Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
          ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

no problem, I made it for myself mainly

I actually detect the battery status, then run commands (sync, etc) then when that is done, run hibernate

hibernate just disables my touchscreen.

you only get an app not responding on shutdown, not on hibernate (on hibernate it will just hibernate anyway).

It should work for long scripts on shutdown, and I could do the same for suspend/hibernate, but it is a little screwy, and I dont need it personally

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

I actually detect the battery status, then run commands (sync, etc) then when that is done, run hibernate
              How do you detect "when that is done"? Do you wait for the app to just close itself? What syncing app are you using?

I'm very interested in this. Thanks.
              iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
              CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

i was using rsync, but i have just recently switched to unison, though i havent decided if it is better or not yet,

I just have a single script that runs on battery that checks to make sure we are still on battery when it is done, and if so, hibernates

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

I have made my own software version simular to this
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59056

Comment

Is there a place to still download this program?

Comment

oops, I guess it is not up there. I will try to get it back up tomorrow.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

zPilott
                        could you PLEASE!!! check my thread about restarting my touchscreen, I'm SURE you would be able to easily help.

I just need something that can close my touchscreen applicatoin (TouchKit) when going into hibernation.

Comment

You can do this very easy with a bat file. Just put in taskkill and it will close any program you want, like TASKKILL "Touchkit.exe"

Comment

Originally posted by MGD
                            You can do this very easy with a bat file. Just put in taskkill and it will close any program you want, like TASKKILL "Touchkit.exe"
                            I just don't understand how to program a bat file.

I put in -

Code:
                            TASKKILL /F /IM Touchkit.exe
                            When i type this in a cmd prompt, works perfectly, but when running the bat file with only that, it just loops and loops, but doesn't do anything.

HELP!!!!

Thanks

Comment

BOO YA!

Figured it out-
                              Although running at the command prompt and simply selecting "taskkill" works, when doing it with a batchfile, you have to specify the exactly location - code should look like this -
                              Code:
                              C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /F /IM Touchkit.exe
                              Thanks for the great idea man, fixed my problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X