Webcam software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcam software

Hi all, here's a long post with info and software for viewing cameras in roadrunner.

I've had the urge to be able to place one or more cameras in my car, etc. facing front, cabin view, rear view..
    Not only to be viewing these cameras it should also record movie files at all time when driving (PC is on). This would be funny, you know all kinds if stupid situations come to you when driving, or just recording a movie when racing or something.

Well, I've searched some and come to various software but all the have filthy user interfaces with buttons hard to press in touch screens and other annoying things.
    So i decided to write some code and came out with a little program that show multiple camera sources in a side by side view with no other buttons or anything else but the actual view from the cameras. When launched it starts recording from all detected cameras and when you click a camera view it takes a pictures and saves to harddisk seamlessly.
    All pictures and recordings are saved with camera number and date / time as filename.
    I've changed the background to match the brushed metal V2 skin and embedded it, when pressing XM button. Really looks OK!
    Now, i'm really not into programming and have only done it for a week or so, so this is only JUST working with no features for editing save location and you have to first create the folders for storing the video/picture before you can start.

If this sound like something usefull go download it:
    http://www.audiotrade.dk/CarSec/camera.zip

The file contains a folder "Camera", this should be placed in the RoadRunner folder. etc. c:\roadRunnerBinary\camera\*files*

http://www.audiotrade.dk/CarSec/bmv2cam.zip
    copy the skin files to your BMV2 skin dir, replace when asked. (take backup first!)

You also need to create two folders:
    c:\carsec\pictures
    c:\carsec\video

Who ever wan't to play with this, then the sourcecode is here (VB2005)
    http://www.audiotrade.dk/CarSec/CarSecsource.zip

And the original OCX / SDK is here. not linking to manufacturer as i can't remember where i got it. all respects.
    http://www.audiotrade.dk/CarSec/SDK.zip

As I said i'm not into all this, even not skinning and i'm pretty surprised I even got the thing to do what I wanted.. Therefore probably everything is pretty lame made EVEN the skinning, but it works.
    The Menu front skin where i edited the XM button, I couldn't find the right font so it look kindda stupid, and one menuxx.jpg file still have XM text on it..
    Will someone with skills correct this??
    If someone would make this better i'd LOVE it!! - this is just the idea.

And last, this should work with allmost all camera / capture cards, currently it's set up for 2 cameras, i'm sure it messes up if more is connected..
    Tested with 2 Logitech quickcam and philips ToUCam.

Another last thing, if someone could work on the compression of video recordings it would also be great as it currently takes 300Mb / minute..
    I have 2 x 250 gb but still it comes pretty high in no time.

email me: mads.poulsen@@pro.dk (no double @)

THANKS!!!!!

Og hvis du forstår norsk, fy f.... så lenge jeg har lett etter no sånnt.....!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Go-carter
      THANKS!!!!!

Og hvis du forstår norsk, fy f.... så lenge jeg har lett etter no sånnt.....!!!!
      Ja det går veldig bra!

Let me know if it works for you!

Comment

hmm - I get a error message when I trie to open the camera.exe file :S

Here's a image:

Btw, here's MENU_DOWN with "camera" button :
        http://www.maj.com/gallery/Go-carter.../menu_down.jpg

Comment

dude, thats great that you embedded it with RR, however theres one thing thats been on my mind for a while and ive just not found the right tools to get it going as yet. Perhaps this is half the solution?

Not everyone on here has a lilliput/xenarc that will switch into cam mode when going into reverse, especially if you have one of the newer motorised screens. How hard would it be to add this functionality to your software if the reversing switch from the handbrake operated a button on a usb gamepad that is plugged into a usb port?

Could you detect that buttonpress and make a specified camera blow up fullscreen over roadrunner or, switch to a RR skin with the camera in it, until the button is unpresssed where it all returns to the skin you were previously on?

possible? cheers

Comment

hmm - I get a error message when I trie to open the camera.exe file :S

Here's a image:

Btw, here's MENU_DOWN with "camera" button :
            http://www.maj.com/gallery/Go-carter.../menu_down.jpg
            Really great with the skin! Will you create the other to jpg's also? The one I made is not with the correct font, just one that looks similar..

Regarding the error message.. I really have NO idea.. Have you tried installing the SDK, maybe it contains some files that needs to be installed or something.. Go for the SDK, then try running the "Capturer" from the start menu > VideoCapX> and see if it connects properly to your camera..
            As previously stated, I'm SOOOO not into programming, and especially NOT debuggin...I hate error messages, probably because I don't know what to do with them..
            Which camera are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad
              dude, thats great that you embedded it with RR, however theres one thing thats been on my mind for a while and ive just not found the right tools to get it going as yet. Perhaps this is half the solution?

Not everyone on here has a lilliput/xenarc that will switch into cam mode when going into reverse, especially if you have one of the newer motorised screens. How hard would it be to add this functionality to your software if the reversing switch from the handbrake operated a button on a usb gamepad that is plugged into a usb port?

Could you detect that buttonpress and make a specified camera blow up fullscreen over roadrunner or, switch to a RR skin with the camera in it, until the button is unpresssed where it all returns to the skin you were previously on?

possible? cheers
              Really good idea.! At this time I don't know what to do to get this started, but I have a game pad, and I will have a look at it!!

Comment

hmmm - still don't get it to work, I'll ask my dad later today, he's a porgrammer so maybe he can help me figiure it out

Comment

hmmm - still don't get it to work, I'll ask my dad later today, he's a porgrammer so maybe he can help me figiure it out
                  Yeah, the source code is available so it shouldn't be a problem..
                  It should just work as the software auto-detects type of camera.. You might wan't to check updates of cam driver..?

Which camera did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad

possible? cheers
                    Did yours work as supposed?

Comment

I don't think it is the cam software, beacause i ¨the error message immideatly after i start the prog. Actually, I don't even get into the prog., I just get an error messag :S

But my dad will help me soon...

Comment

Time to revive this thread...
                        I was surprise someone had already attempted this, I almost missed the band wagon.

My VB skills are a little dusty, but its all comming back slowly!

I wanted to check out how far XPBimmer had gotten, but can no longer access those links. Can anyone assist?

P.S. Am also working to integrate this with RoadRuner!

Comment

What about this?

It isnt multi-cam but I think you can run it more than once with differen cams
                          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                            What about this?

It isnt multi-cam but I think you can run it more than once with differen cams
                            What is this? I see no this....
                            Avengerki
                            PC Install: 85%
                            Car PC: Revo-Sys X300 Double Din: 1.3GHz Pentium
                            Software install and setup: 35%
                            Entertainment Package: 85%

Comment

The download link for this sw don't work....

Mauri

Comment

Working...
                              X