Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destinator and C#

Hi,

I am interested in developing a GPS application using destinator SDK and C#.
    But some things are not quite clear with me as I have not found any useful information regarding them...

So as I understand destinator is "just" a pice of code that handels all the tricky parts of GPS I just have to build a GUI and "map" buttons with functions provided by destinator.
    This maybe sound a little bit silly, but I did not found any such information on the destinator web page or a link at wich I could by the product.

I would also like to know in wich language is destinator written and if there are any .NET (C#) wrapers written for it or would I have to do that myself?

And if somebody has a simple introduction for the destinator (that explains in detail what exactly it is and how you may use it) I would be very greatfull...

And sorry for my bad english, not my native language
    My web page
    First I need my own car, then I can start working on a carPC...

C# .NET has a nice COM interface, all u need to do is register the destdll.dll on your comp using regsrv32 then you can make a new c# project in .net and then goto add reference and select com objects and then find the destdll and hit add. You can then use the classes in that dll file in your c# app.

destdll is a c++ dll so when you call the createdestinatorwindow from your c# program its going to make a new window on top of your c# gui window. So now you have to strat using windows api calls in c# to get a handle to that window, and then move it inot your gui window if you want to to stay within the frontend .

Probably not as simple as you would like, but if you are a programm and use visual studio you should be fine and know what i'm talking about.

Comment

Yeah I didn't work with COM before, neither with Win API, but I think it should not be so hard.

So when I got the destinator window where I want (locked inside my .NET form) I don't interact directly with the window but rather with the API of destinator wich then manipulates the destinator window, right?

How big is the destinator API anyways? How much control do you have?
      As I have some ideas that I tink would need custom programming (retriving trafic information from a website and calculating the sortest/quickiest path acorrding to that information...) <- is something like this even possible?

And before I even start buying destinator I must know if I can import some other maps into it, as my country is currently not supported (Slovenia).
      My web page

Comment

No you still interact directly with the destinator's api, through the com, the handle to the window was just to get it locked into your c# app or do any resizing etc that you may want to do to the window. All commands pertaining to destintor you still do though functions calls that are in the dll which is now your com object

Destinator API is not that big, just the size of the destdll.dll

Don't know much about the importing of maps,. sorry

Comment

Yeah that is what I was thinking ... thanks.

Somebody else has any info on the other questions?
          My web page

Comment

No way of importing maps from other apps.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Damn, so I must get some other solution.
              Is there any other APIs like destinator?
              My web page

Comment

anyone?
                My web page

Comment

Originally posted by CWIZO
                  anyone?
                  There are several (not as popular) but the sdk costs a ton of money. Why don't you find a navigation program that supports your country first and then see if it has an API.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Which country are you from, because as far as I know Destinator do quite a few map versions.

Talking about developing for c# .net I would be interested in helping you out there. I've just started doing Win API stuff recently and would be rather interested to see how i could utilise the SDK from Destinator.
                    Progress [#####-----] 50%

Comment

I am from Slovenia. I have contacted the destinator team and they said that maps for Slovenia are not avalible. And that they are palning on realesing maps for estern Europe but they do not kknow wich countrys will be included. And since Slovenia is in central europe I don't know why it is not already included (I supsoe it wouldn't take much time to prepare the map compared to other countrys, as it is very small and does not have many large citys).

As for other programs: Those that I have looked at don't have any API, at least it wasn't writen on their website that they would have one...

I think I will have to do some more research.
                      TheJim: if destinator realeses maps for Slovenia then we could work together, yes.
                      My web page

Comment

Working...
                      X