Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music frontend with "ipod style" layout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music frontend with "ipod style" layout?

Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever seen a frontend that lists the music in a fullscreen like the way the ipod does it?

All the artists listed in big easy to hit/read text (ie with my dim 7" touchscreen )
    You hit an Artist and it lists their albums.
    You hit an album and it lists the songs on that album, simple!

Mediaengine is the only one I have seen that is like this, but it has other things about it that I'm not so happy with...
    I'd like to be using Frodoplayer fulltime, but I don't think its possible to make it do that by skinning (I'm guessing here tho). Please tell me I'm wrong!

Anyone seen something like this? Or if its possible to make Frodoplayer do it, any clues so I can begin stumbling through skinning

Thanks!

Best solution I've found is the meeJukebox module for Meedio. Can choose genre first, then artist, then album, then tracks all from the same screen. You could also do it just using views in Meedio and set up any order you want.

I am currently working (slowly) on a skin for Meedio for use with a carputer. Right now, Mod In Effect and Menagerie seem to be the best options for themes. I am looking to create expanding/collapsing music controls like Mod In Effect has to maximize the space available.

Comment

Yeah I did play with Meedio for a bit, (thanks I'll have a look into those themes now...) but found most of the skins either wasted a lot of screen space or had too much to deal with on the touchscreen. This was a while ago tho...
      I honestly don't know how all you guys get by using Frodoplayer and the other fronts on 7", I mean, its not like I have pudgy hands or something! hehe, but hitting the little list boxs on most of the skins is shocking in a moving car, and this also goes for the passenger next to me that isn't avoiding traffic at the time...
      I'm thinking a lot of people are just bashing random and leaving it?

It really surprises me that there isn't any software copying the interface to the iPod, cos we all know how much companies like cloning trendy things these days

Comment

The best solution is to have some sort of control. I use the Shuttle Express which has an inner jog-dial and a spring loaded outer dial. I use girder in conjunction with this and have one of the 5 buttons setup to change function sets for the buttons/dials. In interface mode, the two dials go up and down. The outer dial has 7 levels of sensitivity, so scrolling down a long list is easy when twisted all the way. I have considered going with the Shuttle Pro because it has many more buttons. I would prefer to have at least 3 buttons dedicated specifically for pausing and skipping back and forth. With this setup I simply select a playlist, band or album and never have to look at the screen.

Comment

As far as Meedio is concerned, it really would be great for use in a car setup due to it's configurability. Only problems currently are themes (some are ok for car use, working on a better solution) and also embedding apps. Unless you use Destinator (there is a plug-in for it), embedding another gps program is a bit of a pain. I'm still working on that and will incorporate it into my theme. Just deciding whether to use skinbedder or igmod. I haven't had enough time to play with either to decide which would work better. I need to see which one accepts messages better to access menus and such as I would setup the theme to have buttons on the side that send messages to the app.

Comment

That shuttle is cool, was looking at that just tonight as it happens, but since I'm in New Zealand, I suspect that would cost me a great deal of money
            I actually have a Griffin Powermate which I use for volume control and mute, but its really not so great for much other than the turning and click, as its click turns are a little on the unpredictable side

Comment

If you use Road Runner with winamp library support I think it would work...Wianmp library is an organization too that lets you browse by artist, album, genre, etc..

Also, with road runner there is even a "touchwheel" control that you can add to the skin that acts like an ipod wheel, you can only use it to scroll afaik (no volume) but it is nice. It can also have its 4 corners (top, bot, right, left) clickable as well as the center (just like ipod mini wheel)

About having the list take up the entire screen, I'm not sure it is an intelligente idea.... yeah, for an ipod OK since you have the buttons there, physically to hit... if you just make your entire 7inches a album/artist/song list, you cant every select anything/do other functions unless you have a hardware remote. Touchsceen also becomes a bit overkill if all you use it for is listing, I would suggest making your own skin for RR that has only ipod buttons a list and a touchwheel, if you like that layout so much.
              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Its not the wheel and layout of the ipod that I like, its the way the songs are listed in *one* window on the screen, it doesn't need to take up the whole screen (i was kinda exagerating the whole big text point )
                Picture Frodoplayer as it is now, but instead of the 2 windows with song listings, have just one that covers the area of both, thats really all I'm looking for

Comment

I dont understand really what you want... I havent used frodo in a long time... have you tried road runner? Do you mean you dont want to creat a playlist? if so look at a thread called "directory list in player !" in the RR forum...
                  Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

I just had a quick look at the screenshots of RR, it does have 1 list Thats what I'm after, I'll grab it and see how it browses them, thats the other important thing, perhaps the Winamp library support was the thing I missed when I last tried RR Thanks
                    I'm pretty sure over the years I've actually tried every front end, but then I move onto the next one and don't see the updates
                    Actually screw work I'll have a look now, haha

Comment

one thing i would like to see more of is gesture recognition, to use the touchscreen like the jogger synaptics on the ipod. Microsoft's tablet PC SDK, which is free and works with .NET has it. I've played with it, its really cool. I was gonna release a few apps with it, most of them were pda reminder/datebook like apps.....then decided they were kinda pointless. However, 1 front end that I have seen that uses functionality like above is god_of_cpu's front end obiquity (i probably butchered that).....its pretty sweet
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

Comment

I haven't heard of that one, I'll go digging for it

Comment

road runner has jogger/touchwheel
                          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                            I dont understand really what you want... I havent used frodo in a long time... have you tried road runner? Do you mean you dont want to creat a playlist? if so look at a thread called "directory list in player !" in the RR forum...
                            Roy - I'm not rippin on your comment, but it reminds me of something: this is EXACTLY what every other mp3 player manufacturer and UI designer can't understand - the sheer simplicity of the iPod interface.

-HD

Comment

amen.... some designs forget to keep it simple...

Sometimes options are cool though... it all depends on how ergonomic/naural flowing you make it... it all boils down to how intuitive the interface is.

A 2 button interface can be crap if it isnt easy to use, at the same time a 10 button interface might be better cause it reacts like "joe" would expect it to...

"joe" != a Joe, it refers to any "joe"
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Working...
                              X