Would like to use Linux but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to use Linux but...

I would like to use Linux on my carputer but I also really want to use Street Atlas USA. Does anyone here know of a Windows emulator that can run SAUSA?

Thanks for da info!
    This space for rent...

Originally posted by EME
    I would like to use Linux on my carputer but I also really want to use Street Atlas USA. Does anyone here know of a Windows emulator that can run SAUSA?

Thanks for da info!

wine?
    Don't Click

Comment

You callin' me a whiner?

j/k...the day after I posted I came across Wine. Looks like it might do the job so I'm gonna try creating a test build on another box that I have sitting in my basement. Will be sweet if it works so I don't have to deal with the MS boot time.
      This space for rent...

Comment

Id like to use Linux too but there are 3 detractors:

1) Driver support
        2) GPS application
        3) Frontend software
        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

I would really like to use linux... I came across the same problem as aolhater...

driver support - I think this is mostly ok, i mean touchscreen and audio at least are ok... I guess serial usb for usb mice are prolly ok too... radio, tv, btphone, etc needs a bit of research, but i guess we can start out with basic functions

GPS - this is the major drawback for the moment... I want to try and get destinator pn working with wine. if this works then FreeDrive, MapMonkey or GaroNave can probably be ported easily to work with wine or even a Linux frontend that uses the wine sdk should work.

Frontend - I just tried out PyCar on windows 2 days ago and I loved it.. the media part is very mature (albeit slightly buggy). If we can include GPS and tweak it to integrate everything we will be almost up to windows FEs...

I wish I could contribute more to the project, but since I've never used Python I think it wont be possible at least for now. I am going to search into wineDestinatorPN integration and post my results. hopefully it will work and a serial gps can be mapped (I will be using my u-blox dead reckoning gps) to be accessed in wine.

I hope someone picks up on linux FE development!
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Working...
          X