Enhanced Volume Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhanced Volume Control

I started this project to match the line in control to my master volume, but as boredom at work kicked in, I've made this program into much more!

Let me explain a little bit how to work this program.

This is the Editor.exe program:

This is where you check what control you want to match to the master volume. Matching these controls to the master volume enables your volume to get extremely low, but also get the loudest your sound card will allow:

This is one of the best features of the program. It matches a percentage of the control checked to the master volume. When I use my XMPCR in the line in, it is significantly louder than when I play my regular music (which uses the wav control). So I set Line In to 75 and then it plays at 75 percent of regular volume, making the transition from MP3's to XM radio smooth!

One thing that I didn't like about my touch screen is how long it takes to turn up and down the volume. If you think about it, the difference when your volume goes from 2% - 4% is a lot more noticiable than when it goes from 90% - 92% (especially on high output systems). This part will increase and decrease the volume at an exponential rate.

This part of the program sets the volume percentage you want the exponential increasing and decreasing to start and stop at. Set it to 0 if you want it to do it from 0 to 100 percent. Set this to 100 if you do not want to utilize the exponential increase and decrease at all.

And finally, the program:
    Hints on install:
    Place a shortcut of MatchVol.exe into your startup folder, if you make changes with the Editor.exe you must restart your computer or end the current MatchVol.exe process using ctrl+alt+del and then restart the program.

Enjoy !

You. are. the win.

This is great. I have the "line in" (xm) is is louder than mp3 problem. PLUS I have an internal mic (laptop setup) that gives off a high pitched squal if turned up. With this I can set the mic to 0%, and tie everything else to the main volume, with the % for the line in to make XMmp3 transition smooth as you stated.

THANK YOU!!

-arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
      One thing that I didn't like about my touch screen is how long it takes to turn up and down the volume. If you think about it, the difference when your volume goes from 2% - 4% is a lot more noticiable than when it goes from 90% - 92% (especially on high output systems). This part will increase and decrease the volume at an exponential rate.
      You just made my day =)
      My carputer

Old one

Comment

Would be at all a possibility to add in the Optical In for the Audigy users? This would totally fix my XM issue. Thanks for your research and work!
        -Jack
        2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
        Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

I need to match the line out with master, too. Can this be added?
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

this rocks!!!... perfect solution for my XM volume woes....
            Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Nice little prog. Thx alot for this

Comment

Do you think it's possible to get the prog to match wav and spdif in?
                2.4 celeron
                150 watt OPUS
                micro atx
                xp pro
                tv/radio tuner card
                audigy
                Dual monitor Radeon
                802.11G Mimo
                xm pcr
                dvd
                gps
                8" Lilliput touch screen
                IGuidance
                dual optimas
                battery isolator
                15" screen
                My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                  Do you think it's possible to get the prog to match wav and spdif in?
                  I've already asked Andy about that as my SPDIF doesn't work with the program. Here's his response:
                  XxAndyxX-The audio class I'm using to build the program is pretty old, came out in 97'. I'm hoping to find a newer class that supports SPDIF, but after a lot of searching I've come up empty. I'm going to start posting up on different programming forums to see if someone knows of a class that supports SPDIF and some of the newer audio features.
                  If anyone does find a program that supports the SPDIF, please tell us about it.

Jason
                  1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                  CarPC's in F-bodies
                  How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                  (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                  Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

so does this work 'through' another program like a front end?
                    so when i press the volume buttons on Mobile Impact it can exponentially raise and lower the volume?
                    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

I looked at the source code and that appears to be correct. The class module used doesnt support spdif. I searched for one that does and came up with nothing. There must be something out there though. I'll keep looking.
                      2.4 celeron
                      150 watt OPUS
                      micro atx
                      xp pro
                      tv/radio tuner card
                      audigy
                      Dual monitor Radeon
                      802.11G Mimo
                      xm pcr
                      dvd
                      gps
                      8" Lilliput touch screen
                      IGuidance
                      dual optimas
                      battery isolator
                      15" screen
                      My Truck

Comment

There seems to be a prog called volumetracker.exe that might help but all the links to its download are no longer working. Can anyone find this program so we can see if it will work?
                        2.4 celeron
                        150 watt OPUS
                        micro atx
                        xp pro
                        tv/radio tuner card
                        audigy
                        Dual monitor Radeon
                        802.11G Mimo
                        xm pcr
                        dvd
                        gps
                        8" Lilliput touch screen
                        IGuidance
                        dual optimas
                        battery isolator
                        15" screen
                        My Truck

Comment

Let me see if I can come up with another method to control the windows Spdif input.
                          SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                          GPSing - Digital Speedo
                          Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                          Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeast
                            so does this work 'through' another program like a front end?
                            so when i press the volume buttons on Mobile Impact it can exponentially raise and lower the volume?
                            It works at the Windows level. It works on my home PC as I'm not using SPDIF. If you open the volume panel in Windows you will see that the Wave and Master are now linked. When one is raised the other will raise as well. So when you raise or lower the volume in RoadRunner or whatever, Master and Wave move together giving you more volume range as well as speed.

It's not really exponential either, it's just double the range and speed. There are some other options to increase the speed when the button is held, but I don't use them. Maybe that can make it seem exponential?
                            1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                            CarPC's in F-bodies
                            How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                            (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                            Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

thankyou!
                              My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

Working...
                              X