Why so much wasted space in skins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so much wasted space in skins?

Are there any front ends that have big displays of the song playing with maybe 2 or 3 lines so the name doesn't have to scroll?
    How about a big clock so that you don't have to squint your eyes?
    I don't understand why so many skins have such wasted space for stuff like album covers, spinning logos, etc.... Who want's that? I'd rather have an easier to read display while driving.
    Maybe I need something for old fogies who are half blind?
    Are there any skins or front ends that have a more OEM look or feel to it that is more efficient in using the small amount of space available?

I keep looking and searching, but coming up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Each skinner makes their skin for their requirements... MANY have 100% oem feel (idrive, golf, mazda console, others)... if you dont like the way they have done it you can always make your own, or at least make a sketch of what you mean...

The screens most of us use are very small (7inch or so) so it is difficult to fit everything in it... I find that the MC2 skin for RR has a pretty good font size.
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Are "idrive, golf, mazda console" skins? If so I'll search and try them out.
      CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWW
        Are "idrive, golf, mazda console" skins? If so I'll search and try them out.
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=idrive
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

golf http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ewpost&t=62750
          mazda 1 http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62631
          mazda 2 http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50672
          idrive http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53572
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

None of those work very well for me. I guess I'll have to make my own. Thanks.

Should I spend my time learning to skin RR, CF or another one? I'm guessing RR at the moment.
            CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

You could always make the layout and ask someone to help you make the skin. I would be more than happy to help out if you have an idea of what an OEM style skin should look like.

Comment

Is it possible to change the standard way the front end works?
                Instead of starting with a useless first screen where you chose MP3, video, GPS, etc... how about having those buttons along the side all the time so that you don't have to go back to that first screen to switch to another format?
                Can you have a big clock always displayed?

OK. I spent a little time and mixed up an Alpine skin. Big clock, big display of what is playing with 2 rows for info so that it doesn't have to scroll. Can switch to different formats without going back to the main screen etc...
                Is something like that possible? If so, I'll learn how to do it.
                Attached Files
                CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Is something like that possible?
                  Yes it is.

Thanatos.
                  RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                  We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Wow, now you've got a BIG display and tiny button. You think this is save while driving???

Comment

Originally posted by MGD
                      Wow, now you've got a BIG display and tiny button. You think this is save while driving???
                      Most of it will be controlled with the steering wheel buttons. I want to keep reaching over to the screen at a minimum. Plus, I hope to be using a 10" LCD.
                      CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

You should take a look at Mobile Impact, It has several singularly unique features such as natively embedding FreeDrive and iGuidance, an all game console emulator, an organizer that downloads your Microsoft Outlook contacts, calendar, and emails and the most important-> easy to use, easy to see/read, all large finger friendly buttons and fonts, an extremely finger friendly and easy to use file system. Volume up and down buttons on the top corners and skip next and previous track buttons on the bottom corners. It also has the same functionality as many of the others. My goal was to create a front end that was as safe as possible to use while driving.
                        Mobile Impact
                        Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
                        http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

OK, I'll look into it.
                          Why can't you see the name of the song? If there were a way to remove that big blue picture and extend the names all the way across the screen, then it would be to my liking. Does it show song length or time elapsed?

I'm just a bit disappointed with all the skins and such I've seen. I may be getting ahead of myself, as well. I should be concentrating on getting the computer and screen in the car first, then worry about the front end.

If anyone else has some suggestions, let me know I'll check them out.

Jason
                          CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Originally posted by reddeath30
                            You should take a look at Mobile Impact, It has several singularly unique features such as natively embedding FreeDrive and iGuidance, an all game console emulator, an organizer that downloads your Microsoft Outlook contacts, calendar, and emails and the most important-> easy to use, easy to see/read, all large finger friendly buttons and fonts, an extremely finger friendly and easy to use file system. Volume up and down buttons on the top corners and skip next and previous track buttons on the bottom corners. It also has the same functionality as many of the others. My goal was to create a front end that was as safe as possible to use while driving.

Game emulator

Thanatos.
                            RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                            We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWW
                              OK, I'll look into it.
                              Why can't you see the name of the song? If there were a way to remove that big blue picture and extend the names all the way across the screen, then it would be to my liking. Does it show song length or time elapsed?

I'm just a bit disappointed with all the skins and such I've seen. I may be getting ahead of myself, as well. I should be concentrating on getting the computer and screen in the car first, then worry about the front end.

If anyone else has some suggestions, let me know I'll check them out.

Jason
                              It shows the name of the song at the top, it takes the id tag and displays the song title. It doesnt show the whole filename in the list because of the sizing and the space constraints. The buttons and visualization cant be removed. You get at least 20 characters length in the filelist which should give you sufficient enough space for the file name. The numbers below the visualization give you time elapsed, and the progress bar near the bottom buttons gives you a graphical representation of the time elapsed. You can also manually fast forward or rewind with this progress bar as well.
                              Mobile Impact
                              Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
                              http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

Working...
                              X