A simple front end!???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple front end!???

Hi all, been looking over the forums for a while. Downloaded most of the popular frontends a year or so back, and again lately. But really haveing trouble finding something I like!! Am I too picky?

I'd have no trouble paying for something that I am happy with. Maybe something like RR skinned?? Downloaded a few of those too..

Really I can't get past a couple sticking points.

1. Most seem too darn complex to use in a car. I want SIMPLE

2. I don't want one gigantic list of all my songs (thousands in wma format) They HAVE to be in a album folder structure. Eg folder list on the left, songs in the selected folder on the right.

3. A menu that is easy ( I'm no programmer!!!) to add and remove options. I don't want a browser, sat radio, phone etc. I won't use them, and so I don't want to see them cluttering the UI.

4. A quick and simple slider volume control. Slide my finger along and it changes accordingly.

5. Less cryptic symbols on buttons. If I can't work out what they do by looking at them then its not good enough. I want others to be able to use the thing too.

I have a Philllips pronto pro remote at home. I've set that up so even my Mother can use it. Wish I could adapt it to a car setup.

I really liked the digitaldash layout, but having all the songs in one list is a deal breaker I'm afraid.

I have so many ideas I would like to see in a frontend. I just wish I could make something myself.

Anyone have some suggestions? Or would like to skin something already out there the way I want it?? For money of course.

I haven't actually put a PC in a car yet. That will happen in my new car in the coming months. But I want to get things rolling before then.

what you are looking for is out there already. So i guess the answer is YES you are too picky. Road runner is pretty easy to pick up, but as with any front end you will have to LEARN how it works before being able to pick up and go. Road runner is my choice because its completely flexible. There are tons of great skins and EACH one can be tailored to each users exact need. Spend a week playing with RR and reading its forum and you'll understand its madness. As for your remote. You can take most any remote and use girder to control its functions. There's no reason you cant use it in the car. I've used playstation 2 remotes, xbox remotes, and now i'm using the remote for my extigy sound card, completely catered to my setup with girder. Between RR and frodo ( the two i've worked with) there's no reason you cant be up and running with the ability to customize and skin within a week if you apply urself.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

If you don't like any of the front-ends out there, write your own.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Personally I use RoadRunner and origionally customized my own skin...it was a hastle because you have to edit the pictures in Photoshop (which not all of us have) but then I found a skin that totally changed how I saw RR...MC2.0...FIND THIS SKIN!!! You can edit the main buttons from a TEXT FILE and change the background to suit your needs. No cryptic icons really...As for a volume slider, well...tap and drag on my TS is more touch and go...so I'd say stick to VOL+/- buttons...it's not a skin/frontend problem. Once you set RR up it's EASY to use, Especially with this skin!!!

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Sonicxtacy02, Yeah I think RR is what I need to look at.
          I didn't mean to use my pronto in the car, what I liked was the way I can customize the remote to the way I want. Pity I can't use that softare on a screen in a car. If you have programmed one, you will know what I mean.

Darquepervert, Dude, that was what I was saying. I'm no programmer!! I have to reply on someone else's good work. But as I said, I don't mind paying for it at the same time.

NeoMatrixJR, I'll take a look for MC2.0. Thanks for the headsup.

Cheers
          Jamie

Comment

Here you go

'nother Noob here, I use a very simple frontend to control WinAMP lite.

Designed to run at 800x600 screen res, controlled by numeric keypad, written in VB, runs on a stripped down XP.
            Attached Files
            Epia 800 dual boot...
            Nlited XP & WinAMP
            DOS & MPXPlay

Comment

What features are u after Jamie?

Just mp3 and gps?

Do u already have any GPS software?

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

The point of having a carpc for most people is to be able to do some rather complex tasks, for eg. listening to our thousands of mp3s randomly, syncing files with our server at home, integrating with our cell phone, etc. Otherwise we would just stick to a simple HU.

As for cryptic icons, I kinda agree with you. In my skin, I try to use text and icon on the same button as much as possible but sometimes, there's just not enough space for text.
                iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi
                  The point of having a carpc for most people is to be able to do some rather complex tasks, for eg. listening to our thousands of mp3s randomly, syncing files with our server at home, integrating with our cell phone, etc. Otherwise we would just stick to a simple HU.
                  I agree that most people want "to be able to do some rather complex tasks" but some peeps may want less. I can understand this to a certain extent, but as was *cough* discussed on another thread, a lot of this is probably down to how the song queueing/selection works.

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

This is the same reason I just hired someone to create a custom Skin for me. I'll suggest you do the same. You have to remember these free skins were made for the person who origionally did it. They did it for THEM not you so if you have a personal taste of preference then you need to create you own as well. You can take one that's already done and alter it to your own taste.

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
                    Current Task: Just adding on...
                    Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
                    My Carputer Blog
                    Car System Site

Comment

I understand that some want to do complex tasks. But really how complex a task can you, or should you be doing while driving along supposedly watching the road?

Really when I say simple, I mean simple to use. I would still like all the functionality that is available, but just not shown all at the same time.

As a suggestion. On the music player screen have the basic controls FF, RR, Next, Previous, Play/pause Volume and a list of albums on one side and a list of the songs that are in the album that is selected on the other. Then you could have a button for advanced. In a pop up menu you might have Playlists, search song/album, EQ visulaisations etc. These features don't have to be omitted, just not visable all the time cluttering up the screen.

WhoIsThisGuy,
                      I still want a menu screen that has CD, DVD, MP3, VIDEO, GPS, RADIO and APPLICATIONS and maybe PHONE, haven't explored that side of things yet!
                      Its just the way I want things implemented. In a way that it is really quick and simple to use.

By haveing a touchscreen you have taken away any tactile feeling buttons. So I can't just lean over and "feel" for the next track button etc. So I want to be able to see it at a quick glance, and then be able to hit it accurately with my finger, without fear of pressing the wrong one.

I feel while many of the skins out there are an absolute work of art, most are not easy or intuitive enough for me to use while driving.

Civic03,

The idea of paying someone to make a skin has definantely crossed my mind. But I a little worried that something great, like digitaldash2 or streetdeck will be released soon and be much better.

Having said that, may I ask the details of your custom arrangement? please PM me if you dont' feel it is appropriate to discuss them publicly.

Regards
                      Jamie

Comment

Heres a quick (very quick I know!) pic of what I would like my audio player to look like. This is just the layout of course!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AUDIO_PLAYER.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2249059

This would be the main audio playing screen. All playlists etc would be organised on another screen. Ideally the saved playlists would then become available as albums in the album view area. Again for easy selection.

Comment

I'm with you and agree 100%. This is my concern also with allot of the skins. I do want allot of features and want to utilize my carpc to the fullest. I mean I paid allot for it and spent allot of time on it so why limit myself. HOWEVER, to me safety is first and I'm not using this at home. I will be using it in the car and at times while driving; well most of the time.

I want to be able to see the GPS button when I want to use it without hitting the RADIO button then going oops and going back etc; too much time and an accident waiting to happen. I good menu system is critical to a carpc. You don't have to show everything all at once like you said. For example why not just put MUSIC as the main menu and have sub-menus such as MP3, Radio, and Sirius etc. This way instead of having like 8-10 items on your menu at once you can narrow it down to say 5 and make the 5 bigger because you've eliminated your space restriction issue.

Additionally, you don't need every menu or option on every screen. Why have it there if you're not going to use it at all. In Navigation mode why have your music options and all the navigation options showing? Are you really going to use all of them? Put the important once there; like Route, Cancel Route, destination etc. But then put another menu there to pull up advance once if you need them.

Lastly, make unused menu disappear and have an option to push a button to make them appear so you always have them but not always showing up and taking up space. I mean 7" LCD is not big so why limit your space even more with clutter? Make the NAV full screen with minimum menu options with an advance button.

I know what you're saying about paying someone then having to see something else you like. This is something we're going to have to deal with. There's nothing stopping me from switching skins occasionally just to get a different feeling. But at least I know I have one that I can always go back to and get what I need!! I know for a fact I'll see a skin that I absolutely love; well I'll still download it and use it.

What do you mean about details on my custom arrangements? Let me know and I can give you more information. I typed this fast so excuse any spelling or bad grammar!!

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
                          Current Task: Just adding on...
                          Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
                          My Carputer Blog
                          Car System Site

Comment

Civic03,

I'm really suprised more people don't feel the same as we do! Safety has to come first, and that means clear easy to use front ends.

In regards to details. Who is doint your skin. How much and how long?

Cheers
                            Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by wilsonj
                              Heres a quick (very quick I know!) pic of what I would like my audio player to look like. This is just the layout of course!

[ATTACH]23615[/ATTACH]

This would be the main audio playing screen. All playlists etc would be organised on another screen. Ideally the saved playlists would then become available as albums in the album view area. Again for easy selection.
                              Nah, that would be too complex for me. I don't want to screw around with all the folders and files while I'm driving. I just want to load all of my MP3s on the Audio screen and start playing through them all. This way I can go through weeks without listening to the same song twice. See? What works for you might not work for others. If you don't like what people offer for free here, don't complain and start modding. Or hire someone to do the modding for you like Civic03.
                              iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                              CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Working...
                              X