Help with minlogon and booting directly into frontend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with minlogon and booting directly into frontend

Well the carPC is almost ready for installation. Software is perfect except for one little bug during shutdown. Im running XP corp with SP2. Im running minlogon instead of winlogon. I did the registry edit so i boot (very fast i might add) into roadrunner. From cold boot to playing music im at sub 15 secong mark. 2 partitions, 1 for O.S. & program files, another for media. Only problem comes when i try to exit or shutdown. When I exit roadrunner, windows automatically and instantly restarts the rr.exe process. Same goes for when I try to shutdown. Roadrunner process is restarted and gives me an error message that "rr.exe could not be restarted because the window manager is shutting down" It still shuts down but i want it to shutdown clean. I dont like error messages popping up when i shutdown. Does anyone have any ideas how i can prevent windows from trying to restart this process when i 'exit' from the rr gui? Or can I edit anr roadrunner config files so that it shuts down clean. Thanks in advance for any advise. Ive been trying to figure this out for a few days now.

Oh yeah shutdown is also about 3-4 seconds
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Sorry, I can't help you, but I do have a question: what hardware are you using? That's a quick bootup!
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

If RR is set as your shell, Windows will restart it instantly when you kill it (That goes for any app including explorer). The app needs to know how to safely closes its self when Windows sends a shutdown signal. Also the app must know how to send a shutdown signal in order to shutdown correctly.
      We are, will have and forever will be...
      But not tommorrow!

Comment

try setting a DWORD value called AutoRestartShell to 0 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Thank you SFiorito! I will try this when I get home from work. I figured you would probably know, I'm successfully running minlogon - thanks to some of your earlier research posts about the subject. Minlogon is def. the best thing ive done to reduce boot times. Thanks again ill post later on to let ya know if this solves my bug.

Comment

which hardware have you installed?

Comment

sorry..i didn't see it. Anyway, you're very fast. I'd like to have your image....or at least know exactly what you did. I have same hardware except 256 mb instead of 512

Comment

Well the 'autorestartshell' DWORD value does not seem to work with minlogon. Im still experiencing the same effects. It seems a lot of others are experiencing the same. Im still doing research to see if there is a work-around. Ill let you guys know, or if any one finds a solution please let me know! Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si
                  Im running minlogon instead of winlogon. I did the registry edit so i boot (very fast i might add) into roadrunner.
                  May I know which registry edit? There's so many. If you can link to the actual post that would be more helpful
                  New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                  SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

Originally posted by masch
                    May I know which registry edit? There's so many. If you can link to the actual post that would be more helpful
                    post 4:
                    try setting a DWORD value called AutoRestartShell to 0 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Comment

Thanks for the response, silentbob, but I think that is for the AutoRestart problem.

I'm wondering what is the registry edit to boot very fast into roadrunner.
                      New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                      SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

you could create an autoit script which launches rr.exe, waits fot rr.exe to close (when you want to shut down) and the performs a normal shutdown using the internal command
                        something like

RunWait("rr.exe")
                        shutdown(9)

if you compile this script and set it ah shell it should work..
                        Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                        Celeron 1.2ghz
                        256mb DDR-2 533
                        80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                        Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
                        M2-ATX
                        8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito
                          I have used this in my test system (virtual PC) and it worked perfectly though when applied to the carputer it doesn't seem to work? any idea as to why? Both machines are running XP Pro SP2 with minlogon.
                          System: PIII 1000, 512 MEG SDRAM, 40GB 2.5" HDD, D-Link Wi-Fi, Morex 80W PSU, 7" Lilliput.

Comment

Well I still have not found a way to prevent autostart. Booting into a script and having that control the front end would probaby work but im not the best at writing scripts and a script wll probably be buggy too. I ended up booting back into classic explorer and auto launching RR when it starts. This works good, it adds a couple seconds to boot but i decided i like to be able to minimize RR and use windows explorer if necessary. Also i am running a high contrast all black old school explorer GUI. It looks like windows 98 lol. also I have no wall paper. Its just a black screen. black taskbar, black menus. VERY fast, very minimal. I do this because it takes a lot of time to load a pretty GUI, colorful wallpaper, etc. I also have run 'msconfig' and enabled 'NOGUIBOOT' so its just a black screen while booting.

Here's how it goes:

Via bois tests, 3 sec > boot menu, 1 sec > Blank screen (booting), 8 sec > windows GUI, 2 sec > RR boot, 3 sec > MUSIC PLAYING!

I could attach my explorer .theme file if anyone is interested

Comment

well autoit is a quite easy but VERY powerful scripting tool, you probably need only these two commands I wrote a couple of posts ago to make it work properly.. I personally use autoit for TONS of automated tasks on my daily pc routine, it's amazing and it saves me a lot of time and troubles.. it's worth a look believe me
                              Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                              Celeron 1.2ghz
                              256mb DDR-2 533
                              80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                              Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
                              M2-ATX
                              8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

Working...
                              X