Digital Dash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Dash

Basically, I'm thinking about replacing the intrument pannel in my Mini with a TFT display with some nice analogue style digital gauges, and the like. As it'll be running of my car's PC I should be able to added in all kinds of funky stuff like fuel economy, data logging and the like.

Now here are my questions.

Does anyone in the UK know the legality of this, easpecially as I won't have a speedo for the first 30sec or so (while the PC boots)?

Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Does anyone know of any easy to interface to analogue to digital converters which I can use to connect the sender units to my PC?
    I'm currently using some at work, but they are about 400USD.

Any other input would be great.

Rob

PS. Admins if this is in the wrong folder then could you move it for me.
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Hmmm, can't be any worse than me having no speedometer here in the states.
    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

interesting idea...... maybe you could hook up a standard spedo aswell? Just to aviod trubble with the powers that be? Insurance might be a trouble too... thats one hell of a modification to a vechicle! Maybe you could argue the age of the car, and the existing dash display crapped out!?

great idea tho...
      Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

That would definitely be cool to see!!!

-j3

Comment

Actually, I think the odometer would be the part you would get in trouble for. In many states, tampering with it is a crime. I think that ripping it out an dreplacing ti with a digital one might qualify as tamering... :-)

Twostep

Comment

Why not place the screen OVER the existing instrumentation, then you could avoid tampering, but still be able to modify.

Comment

It's not too hard to do, but it really depends on your electronics experience. Best bet would be to buy a premade ADC card from an industrial supply place/Edmund Scientific, etc. They come with programming info, and usually have 8 or 16 analog inputs, as well as a number of digital ones. Then all you need to do is make some interface stuff (buffers, etc.) and Bob's your uncle.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I'm not worried about insurance, my cars already go more mods than original parts, and they're pretty cool with what I've done, so far...

I don't think the law it too bad in the UK either, but if any of the other Brits could clear this up for me it would be great.

Cheers Aarron, I'll have a search around to see if I can find Edmon Scientific on line and see what they've got.

Oh Yeah, I'm thinking of using Lab View to write the software, as that's what I'm using at work and it pretty simple to knock something during my lunch hours. Any comments on this "Language" (if you can call it a language)?

Rob
                www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

You didn't mention the type of car or anything but here is a link to some OBD (on-board diagnostics) information I have...if you search you can find a connector to use on most cars post 1998...but now that I think of it I don't know if this applies only to american made or not.

http://www.abcwc.net/accounts/quanta/index.html

http://www.batauto.com/obd2.html

HTH

Comment

You didn't mention the type of car or anything ..
                    yeah he did. its a Mini.

Basically, I'm thinking about replacing the intrument pannel in my Mini with
                    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                    Australian mp3car Portal
                    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Thanks for the OBD software links, there quite interesting, but unfortunately they are no use to me, (the Mini's electrics have changed very little since the 60s) hopefully they be of use to someone else.

Here's a pic of what I'm got so far

Comments?

Also I'm thinking about interfacing winamp into it as well, not sure how, yet, but I'm sure I'll work it out.

Rob

Comment

It seems kind of basic to me. You could do this with normal gauges. Youve got an lcd display here, your possibilities are endless. Think outside the box as they say. maybe a naked lady that comes up to congradulate you when you break the speed limit. Its an idea.

Maybe divide elapsed miles by gallons used for a miles per gallon display. You could tell it to reset each time the tank goes back to full and store the last tanks data in a file. You could later display that file on a line graph to see your fuel milage data from the time you install the system to the time you check. MPG on y axis Time on the x axis. Stuff like that.

BTW there is a guy doing something similar here
                        http://www.ashleypowers.com/ Go to the Z, not the truck.

His dosent actually replace the gauges though. I would think that display of his kind of obstructs the line of sight too, youll se what i mean. It looks like he is using labview. I just started messing with it in school (for loops and while loops, etc) but I am nowhere near being good enough to take on this task.

Also take a look at the redant widescreen display. I think a 16:9 aspect ratio would lend itself to a gauge cluster better than a 4:3. Just look a the picture you drew with all that black space top and bottom. The screen size is probabbly pretty close to your stock gauge cluster also.

Also take a look at dakota digital gauges or summit racing for the electronic engine sensors. I imagine most of your current sensors are mechanical and will need to be changed out or added. I guess you could head down to the local auto suppy house to sort through the oem replacement sensors, but they wont come with data sheets.

This project looks like it has limitless possibilities, keep me posted on your progress.
                        mike
                        91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

i was trying to use dasy lab... but i think i will just use an interface i brought from Dick Smiths here in aust. hooks to the paralell port.... 10 analog inputs,8 digital outputs and generate 2 variable voltages. will have to brush up on my VBasic skills i think......
                          Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Mike

The pic is only a very crude prototype which took me about 5 min to knock up, fuel use is something I'm going to add along with chaning the aspect ratio like you said.

I like the idea of the naked lady, but I'm not sure about the safety aspects of constatly having a naked women infront of me, might be slightly distracting.

Thanks for point out Ashley's site, I thought I'd seen something simular somewhere, but I couldn't rember where.

I'm probably going to keep the original senders so that I'll be easy to fit the old dah back in when I sell the car.

Spud

Is there a web site for Dick Smiths or some thing, what you've got sounds good, I was currently thinking of building one using a pic, and other stuff.

More info will be posted as this progresses.

Rob

Comment

More than likely most of your sensors are mechanical and will need to be changed. The spedometer works on a cable from the transmission, there is no electrical signal there and no way to interface to the computer. There are sensors that screw into the port on the trans where the cable would and generate so many pulses per MPH or something like that.

The oil pressure gauge ( if you have one ) most likely has a small oil line coming from the engine to the oil pressre gauge, no electrical signal there. The water temp gauge is electrical so you can use that. Fuel gauge is electrical too. You most likely dont have a sensor for trans temp, oil temp, water pressure, fuel pressure, etc. An outside temp gauge comes in handy. Its nice to know if its below frezzing or not when driving on wet roads.

mike
                              91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Working...
                              X