Merge Windows 2000 to new Mobo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merge Windows 2000 to new Mobo

I have been using a AMD k6-2 450 CPU with Socket 7 mobo and have recently upgraded to a DURON 950. I tried to simply plug the existing hard drive with Windows 2000 on it into the new motherboard and hoped to just simply run with it. Well, shortly after the Windows 2000 spalsh screen comes up, it goes to a blue screen and says "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". I did a little bit of research on this and it is because Windows 2000 doesnt like to use different ide controllers without being told to. I found a page on microsofts page but all the information I found was not very well described. The page is here http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q249694 . Does anyone know a quick and easy way to do it? I know I could just simply format the drive and start over but obviously wouldnt like to do that. Any help would be very appreciative. Im computer knowledgable but not very windows 2000/NT knowledgable, so I guess step by step if possible.

Thanks
    The Grand aMP3 Project
    Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
    Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Try booting up in Safe Mode and installing the right IDE drivers from the motherboard CD.
    1983 BMW 733i
    Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
    Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

the MS suggested way is to run the SysPrep tool before you swap mobo's.

Comment

i did this a while ago.. crazy errors after switching boards, i did the next thing short of formatting - trash as much of the windows directory as it will let you in safemode, then restart in dos and trash the rest (its a pain in the *** you have to del *.* for every directory). then install windows again. i suppose it would be worth your time to dig up a DOS utillity to delete the entire \windows dir tree.
        [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
        Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
        a DIY video projector page

Comment

Originally posted by Machs_FueL
          i did this a while ago.. crazy errors after switching boards, i did the next thing short of formatting - trash as much of the windows directory as it will let you in safemode, then restart in dos and trash the rest (its a pain in the *** you have to del *.* for every directory). then install windows again. i suppose it would be worth your time to dig up a DOS utillity to delete the entire \windows dir tree.
          best of luck trying that with a win2K NTFS partition!!!
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Ummm yeah... no kidding! If you'd used the SysPrep utility like I'm saying, then you won't run into any problems because it unloads all the proprietary drivers, resets back to default drivers and lets you install your own without having to trash your system.

Comment

I've been through this a bunch of times, and just end up giving up. MS's instructions don't work all that well, so I just reformat and reinstall...

But I assume that running SysPrep will work, though I have never tried.

FWIW, Win2K will not even boot into safe mode if this happens. Kinda' stupid on MS's part to try and boot the proper IDE drivers on a system in save mode...
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

GAVE UP, but thanx

Well, appreciate all your thoughts but like Aaron pointed out, you cant boot to safe mode. I decided I wanted my computer too bad to mess with it so I just loaded it back into my old computer, copied all my stuff to another hard drive, and I formatted my drive. Probably the best way to go as I have heard from a comp tech that its best to do a clean install anytime you change motherboards. Oh well, I thank you for all your replies, I did find that thing about the sysprep but decided to just go the "easy" way out.

Thanks again.
                The Grand aMP3 Project
                Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
                Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Working...
                X