Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relative merits of cross-platform GUI/widget toolkits (GTK,FLTK,wxWidgets,etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative merits of cross-platform GUI/widget toolkits (GTK,FLTK,wxWidgets,etc)

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'd like to write a new OBDII program interface, and I want it to be cross-platform to at least Windows and Linux, if not MacOS as well.

I'm trying to choose a widget toolkit to use, and was looking for any input. Basic criteria is: allows for use of GPL (or similar) license, supports at least Windows and Linux, is currently under active development, and has selection of widgets (charts, graphs, etc) or at least the capability to easily create such widgets. There's always Java, so please comment on that if you wish.

Under consideration:
    FLTK - light-weight, many widgets, MacOS
    FOX - light-weight, decent set of widgets
    GTK+ - heavy development, wide usage, large support base, many widgets and add ons, poor Windows support, bloated
    Qt - large support, heavy development, wide usage, bloated, commercially developed
    wxWidgets - large support, heavy development, wide usage, more light-weight than GTK/Qt, but less so than FLTK/FOX, MacOS support

So what do you all think? What would be well suited for an OBDII GUI? How many people out there want MacOS support?

Other useful links:
    Table listing toolkits
    wxWidgets compared to other toolkits - biased I'm sure, but worthwhile
    1998 Honda Civic LX
    In VERY early planning stages now
    ---------------------------------
    Awesome avatar from [email protected]
Working...
X