No announcement yet.

Now noticing MP3 skips

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now noticing MP3 skips

Can anyone help me out? I am now noticing mp3s skipping a lot of the time in MPXPLAY. This had never done this before (4 weeks since I have started this project). The PC is not in the car yet *, it is on a desk, so why are they skipping?

(* I know it isn't like a CD player, but I thought I'd mention that it wasn't in the car)

Re: Now noticing MP3 skips

have you changed TSR programs/drivers/software/added new programs?

otherwise, if not all mp3s skip it COULD be (very outside chance) that if your adding/removing alot of mp3s from your HDD that it is starting to defrag and the seektime looking for mp3s is causing the choppy sound. Of couse this would only become a problem with slower CPU/HDD.

very much an outside chance I know, but try a defrag/speeddisc and see if that makes a diff. If so, try for a faster HDD at least!
    Project - GAME OVER :(

That could be my problem. I am using a P166 and a 5400rpm hard drive (I had them lying about so it hadn't cost me anything). It has only started skipping since I added a lot of MP3s. I'll try running defrag and I'll post back the results.

mp3 skips

You also might want to try using SMARTDRV disk caching. It might take some of the burden off your hard drive if you have enough RAM.