No announcement yet.

compiling 16bit dos programm in visual C++

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compiling 16bit dos programm in visual C++

anybody know if this is possible (compiling source in visual c++ so that it will work in msdos) ? I've searched the web forever, but can't find anything.
    If at first you don't succeed.........
    destroy all evidence you tried

for info on t6369c LCD or Presslab's powersupply check: <=updated!!

Your best bet is to write your code in as much standard C++ as you can, without using visual tools, and then compiling with something like Borland or GCC. Yes - you can compile MS DOS executables with Visual C++ ; there should be mention of the libraries you would include instead of the win API libs. In addition to that, the one thing I do remember distinctly is that when you setup your project, make sure that you're specifying a DOS program and not a tiny-window API program or full API application. (blah... been 4 yrs since I picked up MS VC++)

As for 16-bit programs, any program that's calling on a 386 or better operand is technically a 16-bit program. Anything that's calling protected memory needs to be written with the DOS4GW libraries. Note that DOS4GW does NOT like windows.

Download RHIDE and DJGPP. Both are free and can compile 16bit or 32bit programs.
      Don't Click