Looking for software that gives driving directions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for software that gives driving directions

All I care about is driving directions - since I have a 5.6" LCD I wouldn't be able t see a map - but directions would be very cool!

Low overhead would also be great...

Any ideas?

-Mike
    "As God as my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

two words... "co-pilot"...
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Any chances I can get a LITTLE more info than that? Web link, manufacturer, etc?

Thanks!

Comment

http://www.travroute.com/products/gp...2/default.html

Comment

Delorme Street Atlas

much less expensive than copilot (unless you don't already have a gps receiver)
          current projects

Comment

Street Atlas is much less expensive and about 1/20th as useful. =)

I have both. I used to have Street Atlas installed on my car computer but it's so worthless I removed it.

I keep CoPilot on the car comp. I use Street Atlas on my home computer, or on my laptop if I bring it.

I use Street Atlas to plan routes and general looking over the map. I use CoPilot for vehicle navigation.
            Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
            Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

I would love to have copilot, but they only sell it with the GPS, and I don't need a third one.
              current projects

Comment

Is street atlas a good program for those of us who just want to look up driving directions (i.e. software version of mapquest)?

Cause I don't have GPS, but it would be nice to have directions software in the car..

Grand AMplifier Project 1.0:
                http://drive.to/cliffsgrandamgt/
                http://www.astallaslions.com/carmp3/
                --------------------------------
                -Eden 800 mini-itx motherboard
                -5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
                -80 gig hard drive
                -128 MB RAM
                -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
                -PB Remote /w Girder
                -Media Engine & Windows XP
                -Playstation II also added
                -Steering Wheel Buttons modified for Control.

Comment

Cliff...

That's exactly the question I need answered

-Mike

Comment

Let me put it this way, Street Atlas is not as bloated as the microsoft products, and has better GPS capabilites.

it costs about $40.

You put one address into it and it will show the location, and you can choose how much zoom/detail you want to see.

You can put two addresses into it and it will calculate the route, time, fuel used, etc.

You can hook it up to the GPS and it will give you driving directions, even speak to you.

You can print out maps with it.

The current version allows you to create/edit roads to more accurately depict actual roads.

Copilot costs $400...
                    It is probably the best map/gps software...
                    I can't afford $400 bucks worth of any software/gps...
                    current projects

Comment

Is street atlas a good program for those of us who just want to look up driving directions (i.e. software version of mapquest)?
                      Street Atlas is an excellent program (my preferred) for just looking up driving directions (no GPS). However, you need a decent amount of screenspace. I wouldn't want to use it with less than 800x600 and a screen large enough to read fine text. On my 1152x864 screen is feels just right.

I've tried using Street Atlas on my car 5" TFT NTSC LCD. An exercise in tedium. In that situation, CoPilot is much better because the maps are more simply displayed (smarter algorythms about what to show and not show) and the directions are in larger text.

So to summarize, I don't think Street Atlas would be very useful on a small car screen. Ona laptop with you, or a 800x600+ VGA screen, it'd be great though. Easier and better just to get CoPilot and a GPS though, imo.
                      Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).

Comment

Is there anywere to get co-pilot w/ antena for less than $400.00?
                        Car computer and console.

Shuttle FV-24, 100gig, DVD, 10.4 VGA TFT, 866MHz, 128MB Ram, Keyspan remote, DC-DC

Comment

Used on ebay, maybe?

Use a Garmin GPS16 and buy just the software off someone?
                          Dunno.

Comment

COPILOT 2002

Anyone have COPILOT 2002 that would condsider burning a copy for a nominal fee? Just for me to test of course.

Comment

Re: COPILOT 2002

Originally posted by faakd
                              Anyone have COPILOT 2002 that would condsider burning a copy for a nominal fee? Just for me to test of course.
                              just so you know we dont condone piracy here, plenty of places elsewhere to handle that

since u only have 1 post, im guessing your just another 'one post then leave' user.... I hate that!

but seriously, save your cash.... and purchase a copy...
                              Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Working...
                              X