Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

minlongon file is 491 kb? Is windows replacing it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minlongon file is 491 kb? Is windows replacing it?

Hi.

Ok, I tried the method to replace winlogon with minlogon. I first turned off windows file protection via the registry. Then, I renamed winlogon.exe to winlogon.exe.bak. I quicky copy minlogon.exe to the system32 folder and rename it to winlogon.exe. I then run the required registry entry. At first, minlogon (renamed to winlogon) is 17 kb. However, after a few seconds, I see that my new file changes to 491 kb and is the exact size as the original winlogon. Is windows changing this file? Have I sucessfully applied the minlogon mod or is windows just replacing the file, rendering my mod attempt useless? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. I just read that ctrl , alt ,del doesnt work after the minlogon mod. In my case, ctrl, alt, del still works. I am guessing I didnt correctly apply the minlogon mod?

Originally posted by nobb View Post
    Hi.

Ok, I tried the method to replace winlogon with minlogon. I first turned off windows file protection via the registry. Then, I renamed winlogon.exe to winlogon.exe.bak. I quicky copy minlogon.exe to the system32 folder and rename it to winlogon.exe. I then run the required registry entry. At first, minlogon (renamed to winlogon) is 17 kb. However, after a few seconds, I see that my new file changes to 491 kb and is the exact size as the original winlogon. Is windows changing this file? Have I sucessfully applied the minlogon mod or is windows just replacing the file, rendering my mod attempt useless? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. I just read that ctrl , alt ,del doesnt work after the minlogon mod. In my case, ctrl, alt, del still works. I am guessing I didnt correctly apply the minlogon mod?

CTRL, ALT, DEL work if you have a program call CAD. But yes you haven't set up minlogin correctly if you can still CTRL, ALT, DEL

Comment

windows is replacing the file...
      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Ok thanks for everyone's help but I managed to fix my problem. I installed 2fastXP then applied the minlogon tweak after. I am actually VERY surprised. Before, my boot times were 1 min +. Now I can get music playing at 30 seconds.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'm having this same problem where windows recreates the winlogon.exe file. I have tried disabling windows file protection, but no luck. How can i fix this?

Thanks,
          Brett
          www.QRXX.com

Comment

Brett, I'm also having the same problem. Whatever I try just won't work. I've tried the whole copy, paste, rename thing, but it doesn't seem to work. I found a thread saying to boot into the windows recovery console to rename the files, but all that did was not allow me to get into windows, and the computer just kept restarting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or, any ideas on how to fix it?

Comment

Just a word of advice. Although I dont use the minilogon tweak anymore, I HAVE had my windows install corupt by not applying the tweak properly. I dont remember exactly, but it was something small. I had to do a complete format and reinstall. So just a word of warning...follow the minilogon steps EXACTLY and be careful.

Comment

I'm using XP pro, and I think my problem has to do with not disabling windows file protection the right way. Anyone have an idea how?

Comment

Yea I definately think you should disable file protection. The file you are replacing is a system file.

Comment

I've tried to disable it, but it doesn't seem to work...is there something special I have to do to disable it in XP pro?

Comment

I got it working...WFP is no more!

Comment

Originally posted by rdc_3200 View Post
                        I got it working...WFP is no more!
                        I am using xp pro as well. Could you explain how you got it working?

Thanks!
                        Brett
                        www.QRXX.com

Comment

I changed the registry code "SFCDisable" to 0xffffff9d
                          In addition to changing the registry code, you have to copy and edit a file called sfc_os.dll in a hex editor. I followed the directions on this page : http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8575 to get it working

Comment

Thanks! I'll let ya know how it works out.
                            www.QRXX.com

Comment

Working...
                            X