Hover Desk as an Interface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hover Desk as an Interface

I have mentioned this software several times, but have yet to get a good screen shot posted of it. Well if I can get the File Attachment to work you shall see it.

Hover Desk is a Shell Program for making a layer above Windows (not a great thing) but it works.

And no, I have no connection to the persons making and selling it. I just ran across it at http://www.hoverdesk.net and it works well for me. Maybe it will be of use to others.

Check out the screen shot, hope the attachment thing works right.

Is this an explorer replacement or does it run on top of explorer? If it runs on top that means longer boot times, no?
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I think hoverdesk has come up a few times before, but its a shell replacement, much like litestep and the like i believe.
      -Nick

Comment

You are both right, it runs on top of Windows (like litestep, and a few others I can't remember) and longer boot times.

I personally don't care about boot time, 1 min., 2 min., whatever. It really dosen't mean that much to me. I have yet to time it but my guess would be 1.5 to 2 minutes, till it is ready to go.

I like the configurability of it. I wanted a simple menu that works totally with a mouse (touch pad, actually) and will run any program I need.

I thought about Cobra, but it seems too picky about what it will work with, only IRman or X10 remote, only ATI AIW TV tuner, etc....

Plus my system is in a Corvette and I just couldn't stomach having some thing called "Cobra" with a picture of a Musturd on the screen...............

Comment

ummm, u must be talking about CobraII. Diff with CobraIII and CobraIV u can pretty much skin it the way u want.
          abcd-1
          Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
          You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

2 minute boot up times seem a bit absurd to me.. for short trips that damns you to radio listening or half a song off of your mp3 player.

I'm still contemplationg running XP the boot times on my laptop which is running all sorts of skins and flash are at least as good as what most people seem to get on their mp3 players with a tweaked out win98se/me (around 30-40 seconds or so, 40 at MOST)

I'm going to install xp on my test box and see how well I can tweak that.
            aka Kumaneko
            mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

Yeah, you are right cenwesi... I speak of Cobra II, don't get me wrong. Your software looks really good. It was more of the controller issues I was concerned with. I want to do all control with the touch pad (mouse). I don't want to have to use an IR transmitter. And the TV tuner issue seemed problematic for me...

I am stil tempted to buy a copy of Cobra 3 or 4 but want to play with what I got for a while, plus I am still waiting of the "Offical Cobra website" to have something more that that damn long intro and a few screen shots on it.....

Any idea when that will happen?

And Shinkuno, for me if I get into the car and I don't have two minutes to wait for the system to come up, I figure I should be walking.....

Comment

A bit hard to walk with several kilos of gear, groceries or other such things.. I like having my music playing by the time I hit the highway ^^

Hell, wouldn't it be nice if the music started as you were starting? A player with precognisance
                aka Kumaneko

Comment

Hover Desk is a Shell Program for making a layer above Windows (not a great thing) but it works.
                  Just a thought, What about Windows Active Desktop?
                  I don't use a touch screen but maybe someone could try using urls on the desktop to run macros??
                  Like I said just a thought.

Hell, wouldn't it be nice if the music started as you were starting? A player with precognisance
                  You know how you can get certral locking remotes that can open the boot or start the enging... Well, has any one tried/thought of using the central locking remote to start the system booting before you get near the car?
                  Just an Idea I may look into this myself when I get closer to compleation.
                  It all looks a bit complicated to me

1st attempt went OK, but was too slow. Next version is all onboard, will use push buttons on the com ports, got a 200MHz 6x86, 128MB RAM, Winamp. Sproggy 2.6 kit in progress. 12GB Laptop HDD. No case yet!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnB1182

You know how you can get certral locking remotes that can open the boot or start the enging... Well, has any one tried/thought of using the central locking remote to start the system booting before you get near the car?
                    Just an Idea I may look into this myself when I get closer to compleation.
                    And a new mod is born from someone's sideways comment (it seems more mods are born this way!)
                    aka Kumaneko

Comment

I was just thinking of this idea last night. Remote start-up. Assuing you batt. can handle your computer and starting. Anybody know where to find a cheap keyless entry kit? Is it just closing/opening a relay? How could it be modded to work?

ODYSSEY
                      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Boot up times are the reason I switched to a laptop for my in truck computer. I take the laptop with me when i leave the house, have it already on when i get into the truck, click it into the docking station and start my truck and it's ready to go.

No waiting for it to boot or anything. I have another docking station in my house so I just take the laptop with me when I leave the truck. Works pretty slick. Maybe that will help someone for an idea that is worried about boot times.

-Jesse
                        2001 Ranger XLT Off Road
                        Sony CDX-C910, Sony CDX-U303
                        Sony XA-300 USB->unilink adapter
                        In dash 5.8" LCD
                        Infinity Beta 3 way component set
                        4 - OZ Audio 250L 10" subs
                        2 Sony XES-M1's, Sony XES-M3
                        Esoteric Audio wiring
                        Toshiba 7020CT laptop with DVD docking station.

Comment

These are some good ideas..... Interesting thoughts... I personally find them appealing from an implementation aspects and the challenges they would provide, but I personally can't relate to this instantaneous booting idea.....

To me I like a little time just to listen to the engine, a small block chevy with a good tune is more appealing to me than 90% of the music ever made.

I ripped out my car's stereo for the computer installation about 2 months ago and haven't missed it a bit. So 2 minutes here or there waiting for the system to get ready is no biggy to me.

But I respect everybody elses need for speed and instantaneousness.........

Comment

I've greatly considered the use of a laptop.. I'm leaning towards not because you have limited expandability. It would make things much easier though.. I considered purchasing a 233 mhz thinkpad (which would run about 200 USD) and mounting it with a universal port replicator.

Also.. for a decent laptop that would be able to handle dvd playback and other advanced features it would cost me more than i really want to spend.

But like I said.. for simplicity the laptop idea is great!
                            aka Kumaneko

Comment

Okay, I wanted to share my latest update with HoverDesk... see attached file. I thin I got a good small screen interface that is still pleasing to the eye.

And a timed my boot time from NO POWER to operational. And this is with Windows ME, no tweaking, and still having my NIC active and having to click off the Network Password box....

48 seconds.

Sounds damn fine to me....

I just think you guys need to look at Hover Desk

http://www.hoverdesk.net

it is cool, and from what I have seen it basically produces the same results some are getting after days of VB programming. The screen in the attachment took me all of 45 minutes to create. That includes making the bitmap files for the buttons and clock.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                              X