Software to Sharing Com Port?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software to Sharing Com Port?

Alright i need to share one com port between two plugins, COMctrl and Zehender's LCD plugin. I dont really want to go and get another USB-Serial adapter, so is there any way to let the two use the same port at the same time? They both use different pins.

I'm Running Win98.
    [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
    Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
    a DIY video projector page

Nope, sorry. It MAY be possible to rewrite both plugins to allow this if you have the source code, but there is no real "easy" way.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Aaron is right, a com port cannot be shared. The OS locks the port when a application opens it. Unless BOTH applications are specialy designed to work together, there's no way out.
      In theory it should be possible to write a device driver, which provides 2 virtual ports for the apps, and maps them together on one physical port. Kind of software Y-adaptor. But this driver must be inteligent enough to decide which received byte goes to which app. That's a very tricky thing, that will never work 100%.

The simple solution is: Buy a USB-Serial adaptor.

BTW: What do you mean by "They both use different pins" ?
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      ...Unix, DOS, and Windows XP
      (also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

which provides 2 virtual ports for the apps, and maps them together on one physical port. Kind of software Y-adaptor.
        exactly what i was hoping for.

i've got one USB-Serial adapter right now in the dash and i want to use it for the LCD display and the LCD's buttons. Everything works fine right now but i can only run one app at a time. The LCD gets display info from pin 3, and the signals for the buttons are on pins 1,4,6,8,9.

i don't really want to buy another USB-serial, space is a little tight.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean...

I have a WinLIRC IR receiver with com control buttons... I wish that I could put both of those on a single com port and just use on serial cable.

Winlirc uses pin 1 for communication

whereas comcontrol can use pins 4,6,8,9

Comment

any able bodied programs want to take up the cause?

Comment

You guys have gotten a USB to Serial cable to work with serial sevices? I have bought 2 different usb to serial cables to connect my IRMAN to and both of them won't let me use it. (even tho I have heard of others being able to do this)

I have spent a mini-fortune on the 2 cables (I'm in Canada where a US dollar costs us about $1.50), and they have both been sitting in the bottom of a drawer after months of trying to get them to work.

If you have any insight into how to get one of these damn cables to work I would be appreciative.

Cheers!
              OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
              www.whipflash.com
              Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Wrote the author of ComCtrl, just got this

That's easy, but it may cause unpredicted errors. Anyway, I'll add an option for allowing sharing.
                Sounds promissing..

Comment

Working...
                X