REALVNC + VNCviewer for PPC ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALVNC + VNCviewer for PPC ?

Hi guys I am working on making a XV6700/PPC6700 work as a keyboard for my setup using VNC and was wondering if someone would take the time to tell me if I am going about it correctly.

I can make it work from desktop to desktop, but am having trouble making it work from pocket pc to desktop.

Can someone tell me what software they are using and any pertinent changes or settings that will help me make this work.

Right now I am trying to use real VNC for the server (controlled PC) and VNC viewer for the PPC (controller)

I am pretty sure I have the right numbers inputted into server: and password: for VNC viewer, but it keeps saying “unable to connect to the specified server!”

Do I need to set it up in some way other than just enter my server number and password?

If you have a firewall on either machine disable it, by default windows firewall is enabled with SP2.

VNC server runs as a service on the client achine make sure the service is started and running.

Make sure that both your machines are on the same subnet and have the same subnet mask and gateway specified in the ip network settings. You can verify this by disabling the firewall on both machines and try to ping one another. If it works then your ip setting are fine and it is probable something to do with VNC try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Comment

Also I can make terminal service work fine, so doesn’t this tell me that it must be able to do the communication OK ?

What I do know right now is:

Firewall is off on the server machine

Using start run cmd ipconfig
      I can get my IP subnet and gateway for the client server machine

I can ping the PPC with the IP that is supplied in the wireless LAN settings, and it appears to be OK

The only thing I know how to find on the PPC is ip (though, like I said it seems to connect through terminal service so I think it is OK)

Readout from server machine for local network in dos (this looks to be working fine?) does it look right?

PPC IP 10.0.1.3:

Code:
      Pinging 10.0.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.1.3: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=128
      Reply from 10.0.1.3: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.1.3:
          Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
          Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 8ms
      Tower IP 10.0.1.111

Code:
      Pinging 10.0.1.111 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.1.111: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.1.111:
          Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0%
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
          Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Comment

I know this seems dead simple to most, but I have been fighting it for a while and I need help figuring out what is wrong, or at least someone to confirm what I am doing is correct.

While I am on the subject of remote access, is VNC the best way to make a remote connection?

Are there any advanced solutions that would allow video by means of faster refresh rate?

Comment

Originally posted by rotarypower101 View Post
          I know this seems dead simple to most, but I have been fighting it for a while and I need help figuring out what is wrong, or at least someone to confirm what I am doing is correct.

While I am on the subject of remote access, is VNC the best way to make a remote connection?

Are there any advanced solutions that would allow video by means of faster refresh rate?
          I don't know if VNC is the best or not. I guess if you mean free probably so.

I use it on my home network religiously. However, I tried Remote2PC for the connection between my PPC6600 and my CarPC. There is a thread here that goes into some detail about it.

The fact that its a commercial product tend to turn some people off, but c'mon guys $14.95 is no money, hell I spend more than that on a haircut. And actually the support is more than worth it, they've helped me work through two issues I had early on via email and phone.
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
            I don't know if VNC is the best or not. I guess if you mean free probably so.

I use it on my home network religiously. However, I tried Remote2PC for the connection between my PPC6600 and my CarPC. There is a thread here that goes into some detail about it.

The fact that its a commercial product tend to turn some people off, but c'mon guys $14.95 is no money, hell I spend more than that on a haircut. And actually the support is more than worth it, they've helped me work through two issues I had early on via email and phone.
            Wow That is what I was looking for...i will test it ...
            New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
            Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
            Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

I'm out of ideas for now. Sorry

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, can anyone take the time to just confirm that the ping looks normal and that I should only need to enter IP and password when using vnc viewer with real vnc?

Again I don’t understand why it would work from one desktop to the other, yet not from the PPC to the desktop just as easily????

I guess I know VNC is working, I just need input on anything to check with the PPC as it seems to be the broken link.

I can and have initiated VNC on multiple machines in the local network, but cannot get that pesky PPC to work which is the whole reason behind the effort!!

VNC works pretty much the same way remote desktop does correct?
                Wouldn’t this tell me the paths are correct and compatible to use VNC if RD works with the PPC??

Does anyone know if the 6700 runs .net compact framework 1.0 or greater?

Comment

im not sure what ppc vnc viewer you are using , but the one i have(vncview) has 2 popups to connect to a server.

First pop up ask for server name/IP and screen to view incase you have dual monitors. should look like this

computername:0

0 is the default main monitor, secondary monitor would be 1

Second popup is for password etc.

there is a newer version of the app in the link, not on that page though, have to google it.

One thing i started thinking about from reading your post, and what i initially thought you were trying to do. Is if there were a ppc app that was just a simple fullscreen osk on the pda, that sent all keystrokes to another computer via wifi. Id toss my physical keyboard in the trunk for something like that.
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                  mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

It could be what has been mentioned before. If the PPC has a firewall setup, it may be setup to only allow certain ports, terminal Server uses a different port to VNC, so it is possible to have one work and not another.

Look into firewalls on PPC's and see if there is one set up, if there is, you need to allow access to TCP port 5900 for VNC to work.

Comment

Hi liquid_smoke thanks for the reply, the viewers that I am trying 2 different ones of which are called VNC viewer one I got from the net one I got from a friend and I have also tried VNC view.

A OSK like from the origami would be incredible! Well except for the sticky prints left on the screen.

The 6700 has a pretty decent qwerty if you don’t have to type numbers anyway.

Comment

Enforcer Thanks for the input I will look into that, I have been trying to work this out myself but seem a bit uneducated on the topics so struggling to make things happen at the moment.

It sounds like my guess might have been correct that since terminal services works, so should VNC?

So maybe the ticket would be to find out what port terminal services is using and try to force it to this channel?

All the VNC programs (I have seen) set the port to 5900 as you stated, and real VNC does this as well, so maybe I can force it to change ports and this could help for some reason?

My instincts say this shouldn’t matter, but maybe windows has a special set of exception for the remote desktop/ terminal services port that I am not aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by rotarypower101 View Post
                          Hi liquid_smoke thanks for the reply, the viewers that I am trying 2 different ones of which are called VNC viewer one I got from the net one I got from a friend and I have also tried VNC view.

A OSK like from the origami would be incredible! Well except for the sticky prints left on the screen.

The 6700 has a pretty decent qwerty if you don’t have to type numbers anyway.

ive been wanting to tryout the osk on the umpc, but dont have one. I doubt it would be ideal in the car though as its setup for you to type with your two thumbs.

i would look into any firewalls on your pc like stated, (it should work without that though). The ppc doesn't have a firewall unless you install one, i dont know of any that exist but im sure there are some.
                          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

This is finally working for me and I am ecstatic!!

Vnc PPC to PC working profile over wifi for use with the xv6700

This is the software I eventually managed to get working…
                            The only things that I had to do to make this work was place a password in ultra vnc (host), and make the port 5901 in the PPC viewer or client. other than that it was just the installation of the exact software linked here.

Using pocket vnc view (arm) http://home.utah.edu/~mcm5849/wince/vnc.html

And ultra vnc ultravnc (winvnc) (with a password) http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=63887

Using ip obtained by:
                            Start
                            Run
                            Cmd
                            Ipconfig

I used the first IP address in the dos prompt, and port in this format for Pocket vnc view (note which requires 1 colon):
                            (IPaddress : port)
                            xx.x.x.x:5901

A few notes that I have made are that there is no way out (that I have found)when going into full screen when using source forge viewer http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=128549

I am working with this now as it seems to be a better more versatile app.

There is a slight formatting change for the source forge version
                            I used the first IP address in the dos prompt, and port in this format for vnc (note which requires 2 colons):
                            (IPaddress :: port)
                            xx.x.x.x::5901

For some reason I could not get real vnc realvnc to work for me even when clicking on the legacy tab and using the 3.3 settings which are reportedly required to make it work with a PPC client application?

Cannot just have usb plugged in, stops vnc from working for some reason (I believe it default connects to the interweb through it, and it seems to breaks down the PPC viewers formatting)

I really wish the vnc PPC clients had the quick quadrant shortcuts and joystick control like the terminal services client! It works so well and is faster than VNC, but lacks the necessary duel screen operation for me.

Any clarifications or questions I will be happy to try and facilitate.

Comment

Had I seen this thread earlier, I could have told you it was the port that was missing

You may also want to look at Innobec SideWindow, if you're using your pocket pc in the car, it allows your ppc to act as another display
                              Current:
                              [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                              [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Working...
                              X