Space Navigator PE Driver Development Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Navigator PE Driver Development Thread

PROGRESS: We've now decoded the data that comes back from the HID device, and pending some development to make it do something useful. This is no longer a Girder defition file, it'll be a multiplatform stand-alone app

Following some developments in this thread, a Girder definition is now under development for the 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator PE. This is a device that has 6 axis of motion, and two buttons.

So far, thanks to cherrybomb, it has been found that the latest version of Girder does not work with the HID plugin, as the previous verison did (4.0.1). Having downloaded this and configured the HID plugin, the values being read shown:

00 00 00 00 00 00

pressing buttons 1 or 2, give definitive values (first two digits change only), but things move way too fast to be able to determine how the different axis affect the numbers. I just about see that moving along some axis, sets some pair to FF, and others start playing.

Also, to add to the spice, i think the pan motion, is in fact a combination of two motions. Since this device is like a hat on a stick, then the stick moving forward AND the hat being tilt backwards equates to a panning action.

Anyway, I think a seperate development thread is in order for this, rather than a price drop one! So here it is... I'll post any updates here

Let's start with the simple bit shall we:

Button Left: 01 00 00 00 00 00
    Button Right: 02 00 00 00 00 00
    Both BUttons: 03 00 00 00 00 00
    Current:
    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

subscribed
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

UPDATE:

Girder is proving to be a bit of a pain to learn, so to deocode the output of this device, cherrybomb and I have been working together. He's written a nice little app that gets HID output in .net, and he's sending it down a network port to a little java server that I wrote.

Now that we are both well within our elements, we should have this device sussed soon.
      Current:

Previous:
      [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

that's all I need to hear, I'm ordering one now
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

lol! good on ya! now I feel we have a responsibility to get this working

we've got a couple of apps that shows progress bars of the 7 two-word bytes that come back from the HID input.

the device is very touchy-feely and spews shedloads of data when you barely touch it. I'm trying to be very precise with the movements, and to corrolate the movements that map to particular bars. Only bars 1-6 count, as the first figure is always 1, 2 or 3.

You'd expect that since there are 6 axis, and 6 values, each axis would map to a value. But that's not the case. I think they are combined to acheive a higher level of precision. So it's now a trial and error to decode it.

I've noticed, when data comes in, the whole line has starts either with a 1 or a 2. Creating a seperate set of bars for each, and displaying all of them, seems to show that there may in fact be 14 lots of data.

next step I will try to combine the numbers from the two lines to create a 16bit number, and then stick a sign (+/-) on it. I've got a good feeling about this strategy and depending on how sleepy I get now, I may jut try it

PS. I'm thinking out loud, so if cherrybomb sees this, he can know what I've been up to, and of course anyone else can follow
          Current:

Previous:

Comment

very cool! at least your gettin somewhere man. i cant wait to get mine. too many speeding tickets to pay first.. :-/
            cashtexts - Earn money for receiving text messaged offers
            cashtexts review not a scam
            Space Navigator - 6 Axis input device: Take it apart - Driver App
            RRCam - Video/webcam capture, text overlay, and recording: 2.0 Stable

Comment

I FIGURED IT ALL OUT!!!!

I've seperated each axis... shoudln't be too hard now
              Current:

Previous:

Comment

post details! i love technical crap
                cashtexts - Earn money for receiving text messaged offers
                cashtexts review not a scam
                Space Navigator - 6 Axis input device: Take it apart - Driver App
                RRCam - Video/webcam capture, text overlay, and recording: 2.0 Stable

Comment

ok, say you get two lines back that look like this:

Code:
                  1 8 0 161 255 251 255 
                  2 245 255 0 0 238 255
                  you organise this as follows:

Code:
                  [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
                   1   8   0  161 255 251 255 

[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
                   2  245 255  0   0  238 255

and this by using the table below, you can determine the stick's position.

Code:
                  pan left/right axis
                  value from 1[1]
                  right: 2[1] = 0
                  left : 2[1] = 255

pan fwd/back axis
                  value from 3[1]
                  back : 4[1] = 0
                  fwd  : 4[1] = 255

push/pull axis
                  value from 5[1]
                  push : 6[1] = 0
                  pull : 6[1] = 255

tilt fwd/back axis
                  value from 1[2]
                  back : 2[2] = 0
                  fwd  : 2[2] = 255

tilt left/right axis
                  value from 3[2]
                  left : 4[2] = 0
                  right: 4[2] = 255

twist axis
                  value from 5[2]
                  right: 6[2] = 0
                  left : 6[2] = 255

And finally, buttons are on lines that start with a 3, and they are:

3 1 0 0 0 0 0 Left Button
                  3 2 0 0 0 0 0 Right Buton
                  3 3 0 0 0 0 0 Both Buttons

Just need to tidy the code now so each axis value ranges from -255 to +255, with a 2 bit modifier to indicate button state (0=none, 1 = left, 2 = right, 3 = both).

Damn, I need to sleep. I have to wake up in 5 hours!
                  Current:

Previous:

Comment

damn you guys...you just spent another $65 of my money!
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

hehe. I really think you won't be sorry. If you use google earth, it's worth it for that alone. And soon you'll also be able to use it for volume, track control, switching between different screens, and that's three axis out of 6.

This is a great device with lots of potential.
                      Current:

Previous:

Comment

sounds good, cant wait to test this out.
                        01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                        01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                        mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

proof tha it works!

video codec: xvid mpeg 4
                          Current:

Previous:

Comment

Brilliant!

Good work sama!

Seems to make sense. Can't wait to get my device so I can actually test it.

Suppose I should tweak my test app, or I guess we're really ready to start developing something useful now that you've cracked the code?
                            '99 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
                            CarPC Progress ~= 97%. Everything is installed, and operational. Still need to tweak and tune, and do some "finish" fabrication.
                            CarPC Project Web Site

SpaceNavigatorDriver SourceForge Project

Check out my blog.

Comment

definiltely.

I've tried to create a girder scipt with this knowledge, but strangely it's only returning 6 bytes. I took off all the splitting code and did a simple string.length on the incoming data directly, it's 6 bytes for sure. Which means it's impossible to distinguish between interleaved lines. If the Poximis guys can sort that out, then I'm sure we can get a girder script to work also.

I have some ideas on how we can use this device:

I think we should ignore a small range at the begning of every axis otherwise there will be noise and overlap betwen functions.

In the configuration of the software, any axis can have different modes of operation.

MODE 1:
                              after a certain threshold, a thread starts a "pulsing" event. This would be slow with low values (little pressure), and as the pressure is increased, the pulse would get quicker. This will give a use for the analogue proerties of the device, and makes it possible to control the speed of for forwarding songs, cycling through playlists, volume change etc. The pulse/range mapping can easily be defined using a couple of arrays that can be defined in the config.

MODE 2:
                              just "presses" a single event per axis direction. pressure is not taken itno account. This is useful for switchign between different screens for example (GPS/Media/etc.)

I can think of antoher mode but I'm not sure what for!:

MODE 3:
                              segement the range to "press" a single event (not pulsing) at different threshholds.

I've also found that combining axis (like pan and tilt) you can create more quick-functions. Like holding the hat and tilting left but panning right. These quick presses are easy to model and diffrentiate.

I guess the best starting pont is getting this to work with RoadRunner, sending it simple messages, and then we can incorporate all these modes based on usage etc.

If anyone has any ideas, please post away.

Thanks for all the help cherry, coudln't have done anythign at all without your magic app!
                              Current:

Previous:

Comment

Working...
                              X