No announcement yet.

How do you flash without Floppy or CD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you flash without Floppy or CD?

My current setup has no floppy or Cd drive, I use remote desktop to upgrade but now need to flash my BIOS.

Can anyone tell me how I can reliably boot from a usb stick? Not very good with creating boot disks.

Thanks

Marc

There's a way to create an image on the USB thumb drive to make the computer think its a floppy.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

~

asus has a windows bios updater for the brave (or stupid). definitely not safe but it works; i've used it before.

asus update i think it's called.
      ---------------------------------------
      2004 350Z Install - Click here to see my install
      Software: Windows XP MCE / Roadrunner / iGuidance 3.0
      Hardware: Asus A7N8X Deluxe / Athlon XP Barton (Underclocked) / 512MB RAM / WD 320GB / Lilliput 629

Comment

update

I have spent two evenings trying to make my usb flash stick bootable with no luck.
        I am going to try a windows updater but was wondering, would the abit or asus ones work with my epia m6000. I am sick to the teeth of running in 4 bit colour now!

marc

Comment

don't you have any way of hooking up a cdrom temporarily? You don't want to screw this up.
          Mike M
          2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Update 2

Well.... heeded advice and went round to mates and created a boot cdrom in nero. Took his pc apart along with power supply, cdrom and extension cable. Went down to the epia took that apart, plugged up cdrom and power supply booted up, loaded to dos screen........and my usb keyboard doesn't work! Excellent!

So back to square one.

I have found several sites that claim you can build a bootable thumbdrive, but none really deliver. Found a HP utility that does it but needs an img file to build the image. Anyone know where one can be found? I do have a zip drive but cant seem to get the board to recognise it.

It seems crazy but I have been meaning to do this for 2 years......now I remember what stopped me.

Comment

An USB Floppy drive should do the job.

Not that expensive:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3215&CatId=287

And make sure that USB Legacy support is enabled in the BIOS (counts for all USB devices that need to be availabe right after BIOS initialisation

Comment

update 3

Well, now i have borrwoed a PS2 keyboard from work and booted up with the aforementiond cdrom method. Now the keyboard works but when I run the utility I get a 'insufficient memory' message. ARGH! will this ever end!

Any ideas, I have 385KB free but need to know any dos tricks to free up some memory!

Looks like the usb floppy might be a good idea but for now I would like to avoid spending any money on PC parts, being immediatly after christmas.

Marc

Comment

Heres a great tutorial on how to make a USB drive bootable to dos. Complete instructions with links to everything you need: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=575175
                  98' Honda CR-V
                  http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

Well, how about a regular floppy drive?
                    You already have the thing apart. Hooking up a floppy isn't that different than a cd rom. Well, unless you don't have a floppy drive. If that the case, borrow from friend or "work" maybe?
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by marc456 View Post
                      Well, now i have borrwoed a PS2 keyboard from work and booted up with the aforementiond cdrom method. Now the keyboard works but when I run the utility I get a 'insufficient memory' message. ARGH! will this ever end!

Any ideas, I have 385KB free but need to know any dos tricks to free up some memory!

Looks like the usb floppy might be a good idea but for now I would like to avoid spending any money on PC parts, being immediatly after christmas.

Marc
                      I have never seen a memory issues on a boot disk. Did you create your boot disk from an ISO provided by the MB manufacturer?
                      Mike M
                      2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Wahay...We did it!

Thanks to the thread about thumbdrive booting I managed to extract an image for nero to create a win98 boot cd and wrote the flash utilities to another cd and its all done. 32 bit colour in all its colourfulness!!

thankyou everyone for the help and advice.

marc

Comment

Working...
                        X