Writing a New Front-End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a New Front-End

I've looked through the various front-ends that were available, and I wasn't really happy with appearance of any of them. I'd also like one that is written in something other than visual basic to allow it to potentially be ported to linux. I made these screens up to give myself an idea of what I want out of a front-end. They're pretty rough and have some big issues (mainly cluttered and too much blue), but that will all be taken care of as development progresses. I have a few copy-pasted images in there to save time in the draft process. I'm thinking I'll write it in c++ with opengl graphics. The biggest problem is going to be reverse engineering the map data from mappoint so I can do my own routing and rendering of maps.

So you just want alot of GPS data with the stuff over it? I think that could prove very confusing in the car.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      So you just want alot of GPS data with the stuff over it? I think that could prove very confusing in the car.
      ?
      The first image is a regular map. The other two are menu pages. I just want something that looks good and is fully integrated.

Comment

On the second page you still have the map data in the back, just opaque
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I wish I could build my own front-end... hell.. I can't even make a skin for RR.

Comment

On the second page you still have the map data in the back, just opaque
            Yah, I like the look. We'll see how it goes. It'll be easy enough to configure the transparency.

Comment

Yes it will be easy to make it like that but have you thought about how hard that is going to be to see in the day time? 2 really light colours overtop of a crazy background making it hard for eyes to get already. Now through it on a 7" screen while you are trying to drive and the sun is glaring off your screen, you are going to want a bit more contrast.

Comment

Yes it will be easy to make it like that but have you thought about how hard that is going to be to see in the day time? 2 really light colours overtop of a crazy background making it hard for eyes to get already. Now through it on a 7" screen while you are trying to drive and the sun is glaring off your screen, you are going to want a bit more contrast.
                good points. this is why we do drafts

still looks okay. there are still other low contrast areas I need to fix, but this was a 2 second change.

Comment

Just so you know, if the latest picture is close to what you are going for, you might want to spend your talent making a nice skin for one of the already developed front ends.

And I know you want to port to linux, but in the car environment there is no advantage of XP, OSX, or linux over one antoher. A frontend is all you will be interfacing with for the most part, so it doesn't matter what is behind it. I know RoadRunner running on XP, will do just what you posted.

And my critizism is just friendly opinion btw.

Comment

Just so you know, if the latest picture is close to what you are going for, you might want to spend your talent making a nice skin for one of the already developed front ends.

And I know you want to port to linux, but in the car environment there is no advantage of XP, OSX, or linux over one antoher. A frontend is all you will be interfacing with for the most part, so it doesn't matter what is behind it. I know RoadRunner running on XP, will do just what you posted.

And my critizism is just friendly opinion btw.
                    Yah, I just like programming. I'm going to render everything in opengl so I can do nice graphics motion effects. You'll also notice a severe lack of buttons in the mock-ups. Pretty much everything will be done with finger gestures (i think i'll use i-pod scroll wheel type motions a lot). We'll see how it goes. It may end up requiring more graphics and cpu processing power than I can get out of a car pc. It'll be fun finding out though.

Comment

If you are going to be going heavy GL, then you will need a good system. What do you have?

Comment

If you are going to be going heavy GL, then you will need a good system. What do you have?
                        nothing yet. I have a desktop with an Athlon 64x2 4400 and a geforce 7800 graphics card.

edit: I also have a pIII 500 with some pci graphics card that I will test it on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sean335 View Post
                          I have a desktop with an Athlon 64x2 4400 and a geforce 7800 graphics card.
                          There is no way in hell I can tell you that is a good CarPC system. You should do the coding to be as efficient as possible. Maybe a Core 2 Duo is what you will need, but you need low power consumption in a car environment. My entire computer system draws less than 25W, and usually is only 11-12W. Your 7800's fan draws more than that alone.

Code for something like a Pentium M at most. That way, you can use relatively efficient hardware.

Comment

PIII 500 might be too slow. More like 1Ghz pc's are the norm for carpc's. But if your program runs smooth on the 500Mhz with 256 or maybe 512 ram then you will be right were you need to be. Plus video cards add more to power consumption. Crappy OnBoard video like S3 chipset and such would also be prefered to run smooth on.

Dont take my word for it. It will be your software. Running on your pc. And if you have a car power supply that can output 400watts then go for it. As soon as the 400watt car power supply comes out im putting in the P4 3.2 Ghz with 128 nvidia card Gaming during lunch BABY!
                            Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

You also might want to reconsider your use of MapPoint as the nav engine for your FE. Just browse through the Streetdeck forums for an idea of the problems that are cropping up with using MapPoint.
                              "It's a blessing . . . and a curse."

Comment

Working...
                              X