Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visual basic(studio) 2008 & windows media player

i've been searching now for a while, and not able to find a solution

i want to control windows media player from VB with out having an instance of it attached to a form, is this possible?

Visual Studio 2008, Windows Media Player 11, Windows Vista
    1997 Chevy Tahoe
    Planning 30%
    Installation 15%
    Overall Progress 12%
    worklog

Since you're using VS 2008 and running on Vista, you could just use the WPF media playing controls.
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
      Since you're using VS 2008 and running on Vista, you could just use the WPF media playing controls.
      i'm not familiar with WPF, but i will be googling shorty, thank you
      1997 Chevy Tahoe
      Planning 30%
      Installation 15%
      Overall Progress 12%
      worklog

Comment

WPF is not the way to go for this project, i've already written most of this, and i'm not going to re-do it, just to gain control over an instance of WMP.

i need a way to nativity do it via VB code, not by adding all that extra mess to get WPF to work.
        1997 Chevy Tahoe
        Planning 30%
        Installation 15%
        Overall Progress 12%
        worklog

Comment

You will probably want to take a look at the WMP sdk from here; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...a/default.aspx
          I believe there is a sample app that covers remoting to an existing instance of WMP.

Comment

fischb22,
            I have Widows media player working fine in my application and it does a good job of playing MP3 and video files. But what I woud like is to play DVD's and I have not been able to get any real info on this. On my laptop, when I double click on a drive with a DVD in it, media player will start and I get menus and everything, just like it was a standalone player or PowerDVD. So what I want to do in the car is have a single button that I press and if there is a DVD in the drive, it will start and present the stadard DVD menu. Have you had any experience with the DVD portion of media player?

BTW the laptop I use to develop the app is Vista, but the target is XP for now, but will be Windows 7 later. So far all that I have done so far on the Vista laptop works on the XP box

Thanks
            Walttoinfiniti

Comment

Originally posted by walttoinfiniti View Post
              fischb22,
              But what I woud like is to play DVD's and I have not been able to get any real info on this. On my laptop, when I double click on a drive with a DVD in it, media player will start and I get menus and everything, just like it was a standalone player or PowerDVD. So what I want to do in the car is have a single button that I press and if there is a DVD in the drive, it will start and present the stadard DVD menu. Have you had any experience with the DVD portion of media player?

Play DVD in drive:
              Code:
                      Dim wmpDVD As String
                      wmpDVD = "wmpdvd://" & Left(inpFolderName, 1)

Dim tempIWMPMedia As WMPLib.IWMPMedia
                      tempIWMPMedia = wmpControl.newMedia(wmpDVD)

wmpControl.currentPlaylist.appendItem(tempIWMPMedia)

Comment

Clockwork,
                Thanks for this code snippit. I will try it when I get back from my trip. I've been trying to play DVD's for the longest.

Walt

Comment

Working...
                X