Lexus Navigation Emulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexus Navigation Emulator

Okay guys, I have a challenge for all of you coders out there. I work for Lexus somewhere here in the USA. I have to stay fairly anonymous as this is definately not something the company would look well upon. But I would like to see if anyone here could emulate the firmware of a Lexus navigation system. The system is a touchscreen based system with map data and some program data stored on a DVD. These DVD's are fairly easy to find on EBAY, I have some that I may be able to send out to the right person, although I would prefer not to as all are marked by corporate as confidential, and I'm trying to stay out of trouble as much as possible. Either way, if a good coder can get his hands on one of our map discs, I believe you should be able to come up with an emulator of our front-end, with any improvments you wish, that would be skinnable and offer all of the other great open-source benefits, yet could use the map data and updates off of our DVD's.

I believe we have one of the greatest navigation systems offered from a manufacturer, however we do have many, many limitations. The Legal department definately cuts us off all too often....most every fun new feature we try to add is vetoed by legal. So I think it would be great to see a coder make a new version of our front-end that could be modified to perform as it should, without legal interference.

Anyone who thinks they are up to the challenge, get back to me. I will be glad to offer as much help and coding hints as possible. I will try to slip as much info as I can to ya, just get to know me a little to let me feel comfortable that I can pass on information in confidence.

-me

This would be cool, but it would help if you said what kind of encryption is used on the disks, what kind of processor it runs on, etc
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

It has been talked before. There are people who own Lexus with Nav and try to hack/decript the POI database to import to other apps. To this day, there is no luck yet.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

This guy seems to be putting this on a plate for us and no one has bitten his arm off yet
        My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

It would be fantastic to have some software emulate it. I also believe the Lexus/Toyota nav interface is nicely done. And there are so many POIs on that map dvd. Hopefully once decoded the maps follow some sort of standard....
          Fox Mulder
          2004 Toyota MR2
          Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

i wonder what the validity of this guy is...seems like just another forum member that badly wants the lexus nav as well, and is trying to get us to attempt even harder....or maybe he's legit, doesn't really matter as long as he can give us good info...i'm all for this.

Comment

If I had some coding ability I would be all over this...
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/dapcwiz | http://www.dapcwiz.com

Comment

Seriously, I doubt a lexus engineer would be on here saying such things...

further, I doubt that he would think "if you get the map cd on ebay you will be able to emulate the frontend".... wouldnt the frontend be in the firmware, hardware dependant and on some sort of eprom? I doubt the lexus nav systems loads wholly from DVD, or does it?

Not engineerly written imho
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I think that userid is a little over the top.... wonder if "rocketscientist" is taken yet
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

i will admit i read this too and was like, oh F*** that, that cant be legit then out of curiosity i looked to ebay and found it first try searching...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEXUS-TOYOTA-DVD...QQcmdZViewItem

click and see for yourself, maybe it is do-able.... who knows

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                      Seriously, I doubt a lexus engineer would be on here saying such things...
                      You would think someone who was an engineer at Lexus would be more cautious about violating his confidentiality agreement and releasing "trade secrets" to the public.

Not engineerly written imho
                      Yeah - not enough typos and mispellings!

Comment

thats for sure, but this does spark some interest in a project like this, do you guys think this dvd is actually usable in any way or just a waste of time to even bother???

Comment

this has been somewhat undertaken and iirc it stalled.... some data was extracted from the dvds, such as POIs (iirc lexus have an enviable collection of I-dont-remember-how-many million POIs)

But the entire interface is unlikely to be compatible with x86 architectures (would have to be emulated=slow&&very difficult to enginner), and also I doubt the entire "Frontend" is on dvd....
                          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

well thats the thing, on ebay they had update dvds and then the full version ones like i posted a link to, i wonder what the extra content is that is included in the full version over the update....

Comment

Originally posted by burnzie2413
                              well thats the thing, on ebay they had update dvds and then the full version ones like i posted a link to, i wonder what the extra content is that is included in the full version over the update....
                              Update DVD probably has firmware/system updates that are automatically performed the first time you insert the DVD into the drive. All, I have a VERY good feeling the OEM NAV systems are based off either the Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood systems and just customized for the specific car manufacturer.

I have the newest Pioneer Navi DVD and have checked the structure on my compuer DVD drive, it is readable by my PC but the files are of a foreign format. Pioneer Navi DVD's are based dual layer discs and have 12 million POI's (currently the most on any consumer navi system - I think).

The Pioneer Navi unit is basically a mini RISC based computer. It has 64mb RAM, ROM, a 32 bit RISC processor and a PCMCIA slot.

The disc also contains system firmware updates, when I enetered the disc the first time in my system it updated the firmware. Let me know if you guys have questions.

-HD

Comment

Working...
                              X