Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frontend developers - forms and menues

Hey.

im making my own front end, but i have a Q. for other developers of front-end.

the way im about to do it, is (by the way its C#) i got a form, and in that form, i use usercontrols to be used as menu's.

how do others do it..

ex code, og just explanations would be great.. thanks
    Sorry for the english

CarPC Specs.

Via Epia MII 12000 \\ 512 Mb Ram \\ 200 GB Western Digital \\ PCmcia asus wi-fi
    Xenarc 7" Touchscreen \\ Usb Bluetooth \\ Carnetix P-1280

Originally posted by Mcnovy
    Hey.

the way im about to do it, is (by the way its C#) i got a form, and in that form, i use usercontrols to be used as menu's.

how do others do it..

Can you make a quick paint image of what you are trying to do? Why are you using user controls as menus? There is a built in menu control. It is in the System.Windows.Forms name space.

Comment

He's probably wanting to create an interface that is skinnable and uses graphics for the buttons. There are a few ways to do this. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?
      --------------------------
      Software Developed:
      DS-ATX Controller Interface
      Laptop Shutdown Controller

Considered Projects:
      TPMS Interface
      Bluetooth Handsfree Interface (WIDCOMM/BROADCOMM)

Comment

Ineffigy

yes.. that is exactly what i am trying to

do any of you have an prober way to do it..?
        Sorry for the english

CarPC Specs.

Comment

www.codeproject.com ?

Comment

You might want to look into "Owner Drawn" controls. This allows you to have control over how the controls (buttons, drop down menus , etc) are created. Another idea is to generate your own controls using DirectX. This will allow for hardware acceleration and alpha blending techniques. It all depends on how fancy you want to get.
            Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
            TPMS Interface

Comment

a simple way would be to work on an image, and have a file that defines clickable areas. To begin with, you can have one image. then you can start adding images that are hidden, and the button you press, reveals that part of the hidden image and so giving the illusion of animation.

this would be a much better way than to use a form. however, for rapid develipment (and you can worry about skinning later) you can use a form, but make sure you dont' embedd too much into the actual buttons, and just have the buttons calls methods. in that way, when you do implement the code for a skin, you can point the click-over to the method.

hope that helps
              Current:
              [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
              [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Why not go a step further and have an XML file that defines each object, the properties (aka images) of the object and the method to be called from being "clicked" on or any other event. This way the screen becomes totally customizable and you can work on the background processing instead of focusing on the interface.
                Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
                TPMS Interface

Comment

that's exactly what I said
                  Current:
                  [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                  [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by Mcnovy View Post
                    Hey.

how do others do it..

If you really need your own frontend:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71327
                    (this is also running standalone because it is not using CF's skinning engine)

Comment

Looks like Street Deck is about to become the better solution of addin development.

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php...for_StreetDeck
                      Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
                      TPMS Interface

Comment

I like the idea of using DirectX, especially for the alpha blending capabilities. Does anyone have links to projects that do it this way?

Comment

Plastico HT on www.sf.net have a complete set of usercontrol like menu, common dialog and other features, it's open source and it is made in vb6

Comment

Originally posted by sama View Post
                            a simple way would be to work on an image, and have a file that defines clickable areas. To begin with, you can have one image. then you can start adding images that are hidden, and the button you press, reveals that part of the hidden image and so giving the illusion of animation.

this would be a much better way than to use a form. however, for rapid develipment (and you can worry about skinning later) you can use a form, but make sure you dont' embedd too much into the actual buttons, and just have the buttons calls methods. in that way, when you do implement the code for a skin, you can point the click-over to the method.

hope that helps

Why not go a step further and have an XML file that defines each object, the properties (aka images) of the object and the method to be called from being "clicked" on or any other event. This way the screen becomes totally customizable and you can work on the background processing instead of focusing on the interface.

is XML the way other front end developers are making their skinning options..?

and, do anyone have some links on how to's..?
                            thanks..:!

appreciate all help I can get.!

do not wish to use either CF or SD, would like to create my own (one reason is to make myself a better programmer)
                            Sorry for the english

CarPC Specs.

Comment

Working...
                            X