Booting off a SSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting off a SSD

Is anyone using a Solid State Drive for their OS? I was thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone has?

there's a very long very informative thread about this already.

I'd suggest you search for it.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...oot-times.html

there, I searched for you.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yes people have. There are many many threads about this. Compact flash, USB thumbdrive, to those 2.5" adapters that take 8 MMC cards. It has been done.

edit: Red beat me to it!!!!
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Hi All

Anyone else running Samsung SSD?. I`m using the 16GB Samsung MC8DE16G5APP-0XA00 Solid State Drive, 2.5" IDE (PATA) on a VIA Nano ITX board. Clean Unmodified install of Win XP SP2 is returning a boot time from BIOS POST test of around 16 seconds to desktop. I'd be interested in anyone elses experience, I`ve also used the 8GB version with similar results in an earlier version of my car PC.

Cheers Pete

Comment

I may have overlooked it since its so late but if I have a ssd for the os and apps, and a regular drive for music/movies then do I still get the short bios post or does it wait for the slave drive to spin up? I want faster boot times so i want a ssd for the boot drive, how do i hook up the other drive for media to make booting the quickest?

Comment

most good BIOSes let you disable spin up wait times.
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Alright so my last question is, do you think 4 gb is a a big enough drive for iguidance and windows xp without cutting it down in size? Below is a link to a guide for setting windows up to utilize a flash drive without killing it with writes. Sorry if repost but i thought it might help.
              http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...ex.html?page=3

Comment

Working...
              X