Booting from CF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting from CF

OK, I've exhausted all of my options and now I'm tired of seeing my efforts fail, so I'm hoping someone can find a solution.

I know a lot of you use a CF card for your OS because the CF card is more stable than most drives. My only problem is how to get it on there.

I have installed the OS onto a laptop hard drive and optimized it. I prepared the CF card by using fdisk, format, and bootprep while booting into DOS. I encounter a problem when trying to copy the files over. When I try to use my DOS disk to copy, I can't seem to get a partition set to the location of the files on the laptop drive, thus I can't utilize the features of xcopy. When I try it with another OS on a separate computer, the xcopy command locks my computer up and does not allow me to do it. When I attach both of the drives to my carpc and use the xcopy feature, I get sharing violations and files in use.

So, now I'm in a pickle. I've thought I had it working once only to find that I get numerous disk errors when I try to boot the OS from it. I assume that this could be caused by not actually having all of the necessary files, but the error I get when I try to boot reads:

Disk Error
    Press any key to Restart
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Also, I know this will make some of you guys have chills down your spine, but I tried simply installing my nlite-d XP onto the CF card with the installation cd. I thought it would work--it completed the installation, but the I got the same error.

For those who it may help, I am using a 4GB Transcend x266 Compact Flash card with a CF-to-IDE converter.

Please, if someone can help, I would really appreciate it. It's my last step in installing my new, upgraded PC and I'm racking my brain for options, but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Thank you for any help!
    CT

try copying the files using a BartPE boot disc
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

How can I designate a partition for the laptop drive? I tried using a bootdisk to copy and that was the trouble I encountered.

Comment

have you used BartPE? that is a CD bootable Windows XP OS.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Ohh, I used BartPE's DOS disk. I'll give that a try and let you know how I make out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

I didn't think about it until I did it, but the problem with that is that both of my IDE slots are taken up by my CF-IDE and my laptop drive. The BartPE program for XP creates an iso to burn onto a CD.

With both of my IDE slots taken, I can't connect my CD drive and, therefore, can't boot off of a CD.

Comment

oh, that sucks....you don't have a USB enclosure for the laptop drive or a USB CD drive do you?

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              VoomPC 2

Comment

Unfortunately, no. I might could borrow my friend's, but I'll have to see about that.

Any other ideas? I tried the XP Boot Floppy disk he has on that site and it just seemed to redirect me to the hard drives.

Comment

Can't you use a regular 2-plug (master/slave) IDE cable for your laptop drive and your CD drive? I think the laptop drive has to be master...

I used Norton Ghost on Hiren's Boot CD to copy to my CF.

Comment

Working...
                  X