Help Stripping XP (Newbie)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Stripping XP (Newbie)

I was thinking of posting in the "NT based" forum but I figured more eyes would see it here and I'd have a slightly better chance of getting help. I was hoping for a FAQ for this, but didn't notice one. I am running a full install of XP and am using hibernation. The resume time is tolerable, about 15-20secs after the M2 gets the IGN power. What isn't tolerable is the USB trouble that hibernating causes. I starting to think "cold boot" every time. With my current setup, that's closer to a minute, which is quite long. I know some people have XP stripped so well that they have cold boots just about as fast as mine resumes, so this I what I'm thinking of doing. I'm looking for any tips that would prevent me from screwing XP up and having to do a full install all over again. I've heard of nlite being used to remove services, is this what I need? Sorry to come across as such a newb, but I do appreciate the help.
    03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Yup, grab nLite. Give it a go. It's all pretty self explanatory. Stay away from custom builds like TinyXP and the like, so many of those any more are floating around with viruses and crap.

nLite will let you know if you are about to remove something that might be important.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Looking over what seems to be nlite's homepage I'm getting the impression that it's going to require me to re-install Windows after I strip it down. Is that the case? It seems that it makes a bootable CD.
      03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

That's correct.
        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Yes.
          You don't strip an existing install - you strip the install files so that you are installing an already stripped version of windows.
          I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Hmm... This is more of a project than I thought it would be. Well, I do have a lot of free time lately.

Until I get that finished, isn't there a way to make XP not turn on certain services during boot that would slightly speed up boot times?
            03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

start - run - services.msc

Experiment I guess. There are a few websites that tell you all the services that you can disable for a stand-alone machine. I'll have to go google.
              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Alright, I'll give that a whirl until I have the day off to do a reinstall.
                03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

Does anyone have a list of things they removed safely in nLite while keeping all carputer functionality, i.e. audio bluetooth wifi USB etc?

Comment

google "Black Viper" to get a list of services to turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by bemenaker View Post
                      google "Black Viper" to get a list of services to turn off.
                      Cool, thanks. I will try to make a correlation between these and what I can remove in nLite.

Comment

http://www.blackviper.com/

Comment

It also depends what level of functionality you are going for. You have to leave some things running for various accessories to work.
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...150-carpc.html

Comment

Definitely. Thats why a component breakdown by functionality would be nice. Like, you need XYZ for Bluetooth, XYZ for audio, XYZ for Wifi. I know that is a lot to ask though and its mostly experimentation. When I get mine working I will report back on my setup. It is gonna be a while though.

Comment

The site I posted does a listing of what services are tied to what functions. That was why I posted it. It is a highly regarded site in the pc-gamer world, but it is a good resource.

(I've been a sys-admin for 11 years, just now getting to first car-pc project).

Comment

Working...
                              X