Windows 7 SSD Optimization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 SSD Optimization

I have read that Win7 will have some optimizations to allow faster booting and operating off of SSD's. Is this a marketing gimmick or is there something to it?
    Nick - 08 GG Element
    Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

It's true. As for more information you should google it.
    Love

Comment

I didn't find a ton of useful information when googling it. I was hoping that there was some specific things that pertained to us.
      Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

Interesting info here:
        http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...tter_ssds?pp=2
        Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

More here:
          http://windows7center.com/windows-7-...d-performance/
          Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

Guys maybe this site will be usefull for someone:
            Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

Comment

As the links above indicated, Windows 7 does contain some enhancements for SSD. I urge you to be careful when "optimizing" for SSDs, as you may disable features that are helpful or you'll end up missing or will even decrease your overall performance. A lot of work went into performance in general for Win7.

Other than disabling Windows components that aren't necessary for car pcs, I haven't found any optimizations to offer measurable performance gains over a standard installation.

Comment

I've found W7 to be STUPID fast, even on a virtual PC, with the usual WinXP carPC optimizations done...
                With that said, it's pretty damn good straight outta the box.

Comment

I have been experimenting with some OSes for my final build, and I'm leaning more and more to Windows 7.

As said.. it's fast... much faster than Vista, and in my opinion, faster than XP as well.

What I have not been able to test yet, is it runing on a 1Ghz PicoITX or similar hardware...
                  (The tests have been on a 1.6 Mobile Centrino 1Gb Ram).

Atm I have three strong candidates..
                  1. Windows 7
                  2. Xp
                  3. Tiny Core Linux (fast as H***.... 10Mb core img... but geting frontends and such to work is a pain in the you-know-what).

Comment

Supposedly, from what I've heard, 7 is also supposed to work better than previous OS's on older hardware. Meaning you don't have to have a multi Ghz processor to be able to run it decently. I have yet to try it on something slower though.
                    Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

Comment

I run it on several PCs. My car pc is an Atom 330 with 2GB RAM and onboard video. Win7 is fully usable from a cold boot in just under 30 seconds.

I can't comment on XP as I haven't used it in years, but Win7 is definitely faster than Vista on everything I run at home and work.

(full disclosure, although I work on Windows 7, I'm just sharing my personal opinions)

Comment

I'm running it on a D201GLY2 with 1gb ram and I'm getting about the same (30 seconds from cold boot to desktop). Resume is pretty quick, but it seams to use power in that state. I haven't played around a ton, but resume is about 5 seconds from that low power state (still using power). I'm sure there's a way to enable hibernate and write memory to disk so the power can go off all the way. Most of the Vista drivers work too.
                        Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

Been running 7 on my laptop I use for school for about the past week. It's pretty freakin fast - but then again I did format before installing and nearly every computer gets its speed back for a little bit after a format cause theres nothing on it. But it has been good so far. The only gripe I have so far is sometimes it has a hard time loading drivers on startup (resolution will be all out of whack, touchpad doesn't work) but I think higher builds will resolve these issues (I have 7057).

I like 7 so far
                          1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                          M2-ATX
                          2GB Corsair
                          30GB OCZ SSD
                          BU-353
                          Lilliput EBY-701
                          Logitech DiNovo Mini
                          LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Anyone care to comment on the resume from hibernation times on W7 compared to XP?

Comment

I'm running 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD which was the download from MS when it first came out. Do I need to log back in to their portal to get the latest build? I haven't been getting many beta e-mails from them.
                              Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

Working...
                              X