No announcement yet.

Need help with grub bootloader

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with grub bootloader

Can grub be used to boot anything other than a physical HDD or physical flash drive partition?How?

I have tried everything I can find online, but nothing works. I know it can't boot iso's, but can it boot any other type of file from the physical HDD successfully???

How do I boot a file or virtual hard disk image from grub? Really need an answer on this!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)

hey dude you should look at grub2. you can use the loopback module to boot a FS image (ext2 and 3 should work)

Hopefully someone will eventually post a solution to this problem(would like my main carpc features to be installed on the primary drive). In the mean time, I've got a 40Gig Maxtor HDD laying around that I am going to add to my system today to get he job done instead...

Thanks in advance for any working solution though!!!

UPDATE: The Maxtor is in...formating it now but I forgot to hook the antennae back up, so I gotta go back in one more time after its done...hopefully!!!
      Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)

Still confused as to what u are trying to boot up exactly...
        Grub2 will boot up pretty much all linux / bsd etc from an any / filesystem its supports i.e ext2/3 reiserfs / iso etc...
        Just need to pass the right info to the kernel its launchin where root is & kernel (options)

Grub2 wont pretend to be a virtual dvd drive & fool what its launching,
        So i am gonna assume u tryin to update / reinstall windows, which u really want to be lookin @ grub4dos.
        Or better if your bios supports booting from usb, its a much better solution.

But anyway more info on what u are trying todo will make it easier to help