carpc os

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpc os

hello I'm thinking of making my own operating system solely based for carpc. It will basically have programs mad eby others but only those and will be fully customizable. It will include:
    GPSDrive
    FreeDiag
    Dashboard Linux (modular interface)
    XMMS
    XOSD
    Linux wil be made from linuxfromscratch. Hopefully this will decrease boot time. Has anyone does this before? How does this plan sound?

Good luck... heh.

Comment

sounds interesting and cool to me.. i think some people have used linux be4 (and i think they got faster boot times).... i know there was one person who had a carpc in a porche that had linux on it...
      AT mobo
      Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
      ESS Solo PCI soundcard
      Linksys NIC
      Irman

Comment

Originally posted by toadster123
        sounds interesting and cool to me.. i think some people have used linux be4 (and i think they got faster boot times).... i know there was one person who had a carpc in a porche that had linux on it...
        Yup, here:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31588
        EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

well c here is the diff.... most people have a diff linux os (slackware, etc) and they just install some software over it. This will be diff though becuse the os is designed for the car and will have certain features that otehr distros do not offer. Im sure someone has thought of this before and done something like it but cant find anyone who has.

Comment

*EDIT*: okay, nevermind....
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Good idea about linux from scratch. I think the first thing is the kernel. Have you decided which kernel you want to use ?
              Car pc integration with ease
              Car mediacenter

Comment

hmmm..... well I havent relaly decided but need to search which kernel uses less cpu cycles and the response time is fastest. I should also have support for wireless networking so i guess 2.4 or 2.6. Wut do u think?

Comment

[QUOTE=SFiorito]If you're really set on making your own OS I think you're better off just looking into embedded linux or just modifying a linux distro to fit specific needs (i.e. DVD, GPS, MP3, etc.). It'll take you years to build an OS from the ground up with all the apps you need and it really isn't necessary.

Not trying to dump on your idea or anything, I just think it's a bit overkill. Even PVR's out there just use a linux kernel for their OS.[/QUOTE

u no i thought about ur point but linuxfromscratch should do the job. I was thinking of using embedded linux but how does it work? And where can i get the tools to embed linux in flash?

Comment

Yikes man you got a long way to go. Good luck!
                    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card
                    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

http://www.linuxdevices.com - check the pane on the left side for an Embedded Linux primer

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

well i;ve heard that with embedded linux, sure the boot time wil be faster but then wut about handling movie/ music files. I've heard that it will not be fast enough to handle it.

Comment

i found this nice embedded linux os from debian, hopefully this will work.
                          has anyone used it yet?
                          http://www.emdebian.org/

Comment

I'd be all over it if you ported all the cool custom apps here on the forums to Linux.
                            ie PhoneControl, NaviVoice, GammaControl, etc.

Basically impossible, I know.

Comment

hey kasemodz...

Have you seen this yet? http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=38818

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X