Sandisk Extreme III 1GB CF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandisk Extreme III 1GB CF

$94.95 after an $18 rebate HERE Price does not include shipping.

This is a good card for those of you who need a wide operating temperature, ie: cold climates like Canada, Germany, etc.

It is also a very fast card. I have one myself.

Are you going to the 'fest in Calgary? If so.. We could meet.

Comment

What are you using to boot it off? USB-CD adapter or IDE-CF adapter?

What would be fastest? From that long thread where sfiorito gave his comments I seem to recall that usb would be quickest but hardest to find a compatible mobo...
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

If you're planning to use a CF card then you need to get a CF-IDE adapter. The USB problems I was having were in regards to using the uDOC which is a USB solution for XPe (I got the driver working on XP though).
        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Hey Sfiorito, first I'd like to thank you for basically taking this entire section of building carpcs on your back... You have made more progress than all other users together in this area I think...

Anyways, please clear the following for me:

- Extreme III is the quickest CF card out there for our purposes, right?
          - I will only be running the OS/maybe some apps. with EWF and HORM.
          - Using Opus (what is the ACPI problems I read about? or am i confusing apples&oranges?)
          - Can you recommend a CF-IDE adapter, I heard that some e-bay cheapos dont work as quick/as well as others?

Anything I should be aware with this choice?
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by BMVEE
            Are you going to the 'fest in Calgary? If so.. We could meet.
            No I'm not going to bimmerfest

I'm on business in the USA until ~September. I haven't ever been to bimmerfest because I'm always in the USA in the summer You have fun anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
              - Extreme III is the quickest CF card out there for our purposes, right?
              Correct, it's the fastest CF card. The uDOC is even faster but it's more problematic (i.e., you need to find the right mobo and getting the XPe driver installed in XP is a bit of a pain).

- I will only be running the OS/maybe some apps. with EWF and HORM.
              Yeah, that's fine, but see below regarding hibernation with the ExtremeIII...

- Using Opus (what is the ACPI problems I read about? or am i confusing apples&oranges?)
              The ACPI issue you're thinking about is probably the ExtremeIII appearing as a "removable" drive to XP. This means that Standby and Hibernate do not work on the ExtremeIII. I don't know why, but XP (and XPe) freak out when you try to Standby or Resume when your system drive is marked as removable. So if you want to use ACPI functions you should go with the ExtremeI or UltraII.

- Can you recommend a CF-IDE adapter, I heard that some e-bay cheapos dont work as quick/as well as others?
              The fastest one I've used is from LogicSupply.

Anything I should be aware with this choice?
              Just the ACPI issues when using the ExtremeIII. Unfortunately, SanDisk has decided to get out of the "industrial" market for CF cards so I don't expect them to ever create "fixed" ExtremeIII cards. Too bad...

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              VoomPC 2

Comment

What would be the "next fastest" then? What would ou recommend in this situation for the above requirements...

No way to trick it into making the hiberfil.sys file first time and then EWFing?
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Sfiorito, sorry for bugging you so much...

Do you have any comment on the items listed here?
                  http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/44

They have CF cards (more expensive than a Extreme III) and also what looks like a DOC, plugs directly into IDE slot... from a brand called TRANSCEND (I have never heard about them!)

EDIT: scrap these, they are all 45x when the ExtremeIII is 133x and the ExtremeI and UltraII as 66x... any reason for ExtemeI over UltraII or vice-versa?
                  Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

those IDE DOC's are really slow. 5MB/sec I think. ExtremeI and UltraII are almost identical. I think my ExtremeI got maybe 1 second faster boot times.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                    VoomPC 2

Comment

Sfiorito, sorry for bugging you so much...

Do you have any comment on the items listed here?
                      http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/44

They have CF cards (more expensive than a Extreme III) and also what looks like a DOC, plugs directly into IDE slot... from a brand called TRANSCEND (I have never heard about them!)

EDIT: scrap these, they are all 45x when the ExtremeIII is 133x and the ExtremeI and UltraII as 66x... any reason for ExtemeI over UltraII or vice-versa?

Did you see this : Durability : 1,000,000 program/erase cycles ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pexic
                        Did you see this : Durability : 1,000,000 program/erase cycles ?
                        Did you see the date of the post you replied to?
                        GA-K8VM800M, Sempron 64 2800+, 512mb DDR400, D-Link USB BT, Linksys .11g NIC, 250gb IDE, BU-353, SIR-ALP1 w/ MJS, DSATX 220w, DWW-700H

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65059
                        Now with pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by randomjohn
                          Did you see the date of the post you replied to?

and your point is...?

Comment

you are replying to pretty old thread. thats a point.

Comment

I see the thread date, but I want to restart this discussion do the more endurance of the CF cards who appears on the market

Comment

Working...
                              X