interesting way to install XP on cd-less/floppyless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting way to install XP on cd-less/floppyless

I have a laptop that lacks a floppy and a cd rom. I wanted windows XP on it, but couldnt load it without either a floppy or cd. Here is what I did:

1) install the hard drive as a slave in your working desktop system. I tried using a USB adaptor and it failed, i think it wants to be on an ide channel.

2) Format the drive. I just did a quick ntsf format, doesnt seem to matter.

3) insert your windows cd in the drive, and exit when it pops up asking what you want to do.

4) Go to "My Computer" and look at the drive letters of the CD-rom containing the XP disk, and also the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard drive is "D" and the XP cd is in "E:", go to the run command and type (or cut and paste):

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart: /tempdrive: /makelocalsource /noreboot

6) setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install, make sure it is FULL INSTALL. It will then ask you for a few more things including the CD key.

7) When it goes back to your desktop, turn off your PC and remove the slave hard drive. It is now ready for install in the new system. It will simply continue to install windows from this point.

I just finished it on my floppyless and cd-less laptop, and it worked awesome!
    2005 Ford Focus ST

I'm taking it that the smilies are indeed "d :" but without the space?

I'll keep that in mind as being a computer engineer - that will help me out one day!

Many thanks.
    Best regards,

Darren Thrower
    http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

Oops! Forgot to "Disable smileys"
      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

gospeed.racer interesting way to install XP on cd-less/floppyless

TO gospeed.racer interesting way to install XP on cd-less/floppyless
        ThanU alot, works just fine.
        And I suceeded to do that on USB adaptor.

Comment

could you just have a usb external hardrive connected to computer running xp and do this?

or does it have to be an ide connected hardrive?

****, just noticed in the read it says the usb connection failed......

any way to trick windows in thinking a usb external hardrive is an ide internal?

Comment

Wow, i never knew! how'd you find this out?!
            Jae

Comment

now i just need to get laptop hd adapter so i can use it on my pc

Comment

Originally posted by Snortonnorton View Post
                could you just have a usb external hardrive connected to computer running xp and do this?

or does it have to be an ide connected hardrive?

****, just noticed in the read it says the usb connection failed......

any way to trick windows in thinking a usb external hardrive is an ide internal?
                Just as I said: USB external HDD2,5'. It just worked, no trick
                I used it to prepare instalation into cdless-flopyless notebook.

I work w notebook, so t'no posibility to install addit' hdd.
                my note has a'option to boot from usb, maybe that work

Comment

To gospeed.racer

You know what, i have tried your method of installing xp without cd and it works for me flawless before... BUT

today I did it again, bit it says read disk error on a P3 notebook Compaq Armada M300

tried on several hdd, on 2 different notebooks

did anyone has any idea? sorry for my ignorance, but i already had a butterfly around in my brain

thanx for any suggestions

Comment

i found it easier to get a usb to ide adapter and just plug a normal cd/dvd drive into that..

most laptops can boot from a usb device. this has worked fine for me on laptops with no optical drive. and saves having to pull the laptop drive out and stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by Woofnstuff View Post
                      i found it easier to get a usb to ide adapter and just plug a normal cd/dvd drive into that..

most laptops can boot from a usb device. this has worked fine for me on laptops with no optical drive. and saves having to pull the laptop drive out and stuff..

Well Woofnstuff,

Unfortunately only most newer notebooks supports USB booting, perhaps you were refering to the new ones only. And some funny machines like my tabletpc Toshiba Portege M200, booting from USB CD is almost impossible except for certain recommended by Toshiba.

And by the way, the thread here is about installing without the option of even an external cd. It proofs useful if you urgently need to install windows with no other gadget options, well and that happened to me and my tablet!

cheers

Comment

most (well most of the ones ive had to do stuff too) notebooks from about 3 or 4 years ago support usb booting.

personally i would try usb booting first.

but as a last resort, you are right this is good info for those setups that dont want to play nicely with others

Comment

Nice work, only way ive done it without original XP disk, was to use Acronis true image, and restore that way or a recovery parition on the hard drive.
                          CarPuter Progress:
                          Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                          Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
                          Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                          Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                          Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

I use the OP method to test nlite setting for my laptop without wasting lot of blank disk.
                            Basically, nlite the OS and create an iso. Use daemon tools (or similar tool) to mount the iso. User the OP method.
                            If the configuration doesn't work, go back to nlite setting and do again.
                            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Hi again,

Let me tell you that your method works all the time and has saved me in many unfortunate events.

By the way, do you have any method similar to this but works for the Tablet Edition that requires 2 installation CDs?

It would be of great help if you could, a lot of us here are waiting for that solution as well cos some tablets are nasty when their external cdrom drive fails.

Thanx a lot

Originally posted by gospeed.racer View Post
                              I have a laptop that lacks a floppy and a cd rom. I wanted windows XP on it, but couldnt load it without either a floppy or cd. Here is what I did:

1) install the hard drive as a slave in your working desktop system. I tried using a USB adaptor and it failed, i think it wants to be on an ide channel.

2) Format the drive. I just did a quick ntsf format, doesnt seem to matter.

3) insert your windows cd in the drive, and exit when it pops up asking what you want to do.

4) Go to "My Computer" and look at the drive letters of the CD-rom containing the XP disk, and also the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard drive is "D" and the XP cd is in "E:", go to the run command and type (or cut and paste):

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart: /tempdrive: /makelocalsource /noreboot

6) setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install, make sure it is FULL INSTALL. It will then ask you for a few more things including the CD key.

7) When it goes back to your desktop, turn off your PC and remove the slave hard drive. It is now ready for install in the new system. It will simply continue to install windows from this point.

I just finished it on my floppyless and cd-less laptop, and it worked awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X