onboard CF to ide->CF adapter.....won't boot anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onboard CF to ide->CF adapter.....won't boot anymore

I have an old single board computer with an onboard CF slot. I had installed win98 on a CF card using the onboard slot, and discovered that the onboard CF was limiting the speed of the CF card

So, I bought an ide->CF adapter. I know the adapter works fine, because I was able to boot off the CF like I had, and read the CF card from my camera using the adapter.

When I plug the CF w/win98 on it into the adapter, I get an "invalid system disk" error when the computer tries to boot.

I've already set up all the software on the win98 install, so I don't really want to go and reinstall win98 onto the CF card using the adapter. Is there a way to get it to work without reinstalling?

edit: the actual error message is "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Check in the BIOS which disk (CF adaptor) is set as the system disk, or bootable disk. Is the new cf slot is being assigned a different drive letter?
    www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Originally posted by roadhog
      Check in the BIOS which disk (CF adaptor) is set as the system disk, or bootable disk. Is the new cf slot is being assigned a different drive letter?
      Im not sure whether or not the CF card is being assigned a different drive letter.

The only option that I can see being relevant is "Boot sequence." I've tried every option with that and get the same "invalid system disk" error when trying to boot

edit: the actual error message is "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

edit2: I get the same error message if there is no disk inserted

Comment

check the boot up order and also make sure you haven`t got a floppy in the diskdrive.

Comment

BTW I wonder whether you had your CF card write protected.

Comment

Originally posted by SlashEMc2k
            check the boot up order and also make sure you haven`t got a floppy in the diskdrive.

I've tried every possible boot up order, to no avail. There also isn't a floppy drive in the computer, so that's not it

Originally posted by LagunaICE
            BTW I wonder whether you had your CF card write protected.
            what exactly do you mean? To limit the write cycles, I just turned of the page file. I doubt the amount of write cycles will destroy the card any time soon, so I figured I'd see how long this one lasted and just buy another one when it dies

Comment

Make sure the bios see the CF card like a hard disk.
              ------------------------------

98 Honda civic
              In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
              cappuccino EZ3
              PIII-1.2GHZ
              256MB PC133
              40GB HD
              Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
              IguidanceV2
              CNX-P1900 power supply
              Sound Blaster Live USB

Comment

Originally posted by faichiu
                Make sure the bios see the CF card like a hard disk.
                There is an "IDE HDD auto detection" option on the BIOS, which reads out the same data for the CF card, whether it's using the adapter or onboard slot

From that I'm assuming that it sees the CF as a hard drive

Comment

IDE to Compact Flash

IDE to Compact Flash :

These units allow users to replace traditional hard drives with standard Compact Flash cards.

There are some real nice bennefits to using compact flash in place of a regular hard drive.

These include:
                  - very low power consumption (less then 0.5W)
                  - Fast startup, no spin up time, or USB bottleneck
                  - high transfer rate
                  - phisically very durable
                  - compatibility with IDE drivers, nothing special needed
                  - they are completely silent
                  - The use commodity (cheap and plentiful) CF cards

Comment

re:CF to IDE

make sure your CF card work on the DMA mode , not PIO mode .
                    IDE to CF Adapter,SATA to CF
                    PCI Riser Card,IDE to SD/ZIF/SCSI/SlimCD-ROM

making data communicate easy
                    http://www.soarland.com/

Comment

yeesh, this thread is almost 2 years old. I got rid of the SBC long ago

Comment

anyone willing to take me CF and load a booting XP on it. let me know how much. I have my own XP license.

Comment

Originally posted by LindyM View Post
                          anyone willing to take me CF and load a booting XP on it. let me know how much. I have my own XP license.
                          They would need the same hardware as you. You can't install on one machine and expect it to boot on another.
                          Old Systems retired due to new car
                          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

im having same fault

prestario 500 laptop by compaq

soon as i put in a cf to sata adaptor, and my new 32gb CF (and tried 4gB)

it just will not boot, will not even boot the CD if the CF cards are in the laptop

however i tried an OLD 320mb CF microdrive, and it worked fine

its the 4GB and 32GB CF cards that causing problems, anyone got any idea how to solve this problem??

Comment

Working...
                            X