Best OS for carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best OS for carpc

i am tired of playing around with this tinyxp BS! nothing freeking works!!!

What is the best way to make windows run fast, and have BT work, and WIFI etc..

If you're on a good spec'd machine, just use xp professional with all the "extras" stripped out. you can either install it with an answer file and say NO to all extras (games, accessories, etc) or you can just remove them from add/remove programs.
    - sh00k
    Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

Dude take it from me see my boot video. All you need to do is hibernate everytime. Strip nothing out just hibernate and you will be happy.
      2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

I resume from hibernation and am back to music playing in under 20sec, including POST.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That's a good point. I do the same thing - when I am parking my car/turning it off, i throw my tablet into hibernate. and when i am back in the car, it takes i think less than 20 seconds from hibernate back to on. I also disabled the "prompt after hibernate resume" so that way, when you hit the power button, you're not prompted for a windows password, it goes straight to your desktop/frontend software.
          - sh00k
          Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

I have full version of XP installed with some tweaks and I'm at the desktop in around 30 seconds, RR in 36 seconds. I've played with minlogon and on some boots it slowed my down and never really sped my boot up. I've played with making RR my shell, but again it didn't seem to lower my times.

How much power is consumed when in hibernate? Andrewb told me "2 hours of standby is the equiv of a 'cherry lightbulb, in-dash light for about 2 minutes." so hibernate would have to be lower.

Comment

powerwise hibernate and shutdown are equal bootwise hibernate just restores the ram state from disk so it is much faster then booting usually.

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns
                powerwise hibernate and shutdown are equal bootwise hibernate just restores the ram state from disk so it is much faster then booting usually.
                From what I've read it doesn't turn the PC completely off, but I get the point that power conusmption is low. I'l have to test it out and see how quickly it comes back on. Other problem I hear with Hibernate is USB devices not working on wake up, i.e. GPS.

What really shocked me was how low power consumption is in Standby mode or according to Andrewb. Could you leave it in Standby for say 8 hours?

Comment

From what your read... okay do this smarty newb

Hibernate your computer your using right now. Unplug the powercord count to 5 then plug the cord back in. Watch it reload the hibernate file.

HIBERNATE = SHUTDOWN = NO POWER

STANDBY/SUSPEND = TRIKLE POWER AND YOUR CAR BATTERY WILL DIE

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Wow "smarty newb"; don't know why that was thrown out.

"Hibernate mode writes an image of what you're currently working on to a special file on your hard drive, and then shuts your computer almost completely off." I already know that Standby/Suspend goes to RAM and Hibernate writes to the hard drive. After reading some more info I see that the PC is completely shut down. Why the original quote above was on a Microsoft site and why it makes it seem as though the PC isn’t completely shut off is odd. That was the from the first link I got when I googled Hibernate power consumption.

I also understand that standby will consume power, but depending on how much, or little, it may not matter and when using something like the M1-ATX it will shutdown automatically if/when voltage drops too much.

I'm not trying to say Hibernate doesn't work. I've seen your 10 second video, but I've also read some caveats on here as well. In some cases it takes as long as a fresh boot and some devices don't work.

I don't know why you’re getting defensive on this issue. For future reference, to clearly show your intraweb dominance you have to use n00b I might be fairly new to this forum, but not to computer forums in general.

Comment

Hibernate is MUCH more stable than stand by, PLUS it uses zero power! What more do you need?

Everyone I know with a carputer just uses the full xp version with hibernate and it works beautifully... I've never heard of resume from hibernate taking as long as a fresh boot... there is something seriously wrong if that's the case

Comment

I use tinyxp, I boot from cold in 20 seconds. I get out of hibernation in under 3 seconds. Shutdown is under 3 seconds as well. Just boot into your frontend and your music will start playing during your welcome screen. The developer just recently released a new version thats only 140mb install size.

Comment

quick question on TinyXP, does itsupport .net and SAPI?

Played around with Hibernate and I get back to the frontend in around 23-24 seconds. Front end as shell.

Comment

I find it funny that you ask these questions, then you don't believe anyone. With so many people responding, dont you think someone would correct somebody innacuratly saying that hibernate completley turns the PC off if it didnt.

As for your question of the pros of standby.....your bios doesnt have to post....so instead of a 20 second boot time, it would be 2 seconds. Unfortunatly everything is uses a lot of power, and barley ever works.

Macs however have a good standby....which really works. And I believe you can even do the equivalant to hibernate, but the Mac post time is so fast, you'd think it was in standby.

P.S, no matter how hard you try to tinker with Tiny XP, your not going to significantly change the hibernate vrs boot time. Your 23-24 seconds is as fast as its going to get unless you want to go with an OS with no GUI, or a mobo with a much faster post.
                            PC Components:
                            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                            My work log

Comment

I think its funny that you are beating a dead horse and I'm asking a question about TinyXP to ceelo4.

I have used nlited version of XP and have reduced the boot time on cold boot to under 20 seconds, but it wasn't perfect and I didn't want to keep making more nlite images.

Again my Standby/Hibernate questions were answered already. My response to mbkowns was merely explaining why I had the belief the hibernate did indeed drain power and the quote, from th MS site, that made me think that. Upon more searching I see he was/is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X