Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPembedded and CF cards

Hey guys,

I did search but got mixed results that I have a hard time deciphering so I am going to post this here...

Here's what I have done so far:

Installed XP Professional on my target system (a Single Board Computer with a built in CF slot) onto a standard laptop drive, set up all the drivers, etc... then used the Target analyzer program to create a file that I imported into target designer.

I did what I needed to do there, built the image and copied it onto a CF card.

Now, the CF card comes up as IDE2 (Secondary Master) on the motherboard, but I cannot get it to boot.

I have set up the CF card as a NTFS drive, is there something else I need to do to make it bootable?

Thanks!

have you read Microsoft's documentation on how to deploy to a CF card? Since your CF slot is on IDE2 have you configured your BIOS to boot from that channel? What's your boot.ini file point to?
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
      have you read Microsoft's documentation on how to deploy to a CF card? Since your CF slot is on IDE2 have you configured your BIOS to boot from that channel? What's your boot.ini file point to?
      Yes, I read about BootPrep and how you don't need to use it on a NTFS formatted card, and I do have the BIOS set to boot from IDE 2.

However, I didn't think to edit the boot.ini file, so I will try that and see how it goes.

Thanks pal!

Comment

Did you see this? http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm

Comment

Be very patient... first time booting off the CF card after installing XP will take awhile.

After a few starts and restarts, it gets faster. With EWF and MiniLogon (only after you 'install' your programs), it'll be even quicker.

Comment

I just wanted to get past the "no boot device found" error from the BIOS on startup

Comment

How did you format the CF card? Did you make it active?

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              VoomPC 2

Comment

changed my boot.ini file to look for Windows on disk 2 but no go

Comment

How did you format the CF card? Did you make it active?
                  I just formatted it FAT32 in Windows then converted it to NTFS using the convert util in a command dialog box.

The problem is that I don't have an IDE-cf adaptor, and while the CF slot is on the IDE bus on my target system, I do not have a floppy drive for it.

And yes, the card is "Active"

Comment

What kind of board do you have, and can you verify it supports booting off CF? I read somewhere certain [VIA] boards do not support booting from CF despite having a CF slot integrated to the IDE bus.

You can probably find a CF-IDE adapter locally for about $10. I know a computer store nearby that sells one :-)

Comment

This is the board. One of the reasons I got it was so I could boot off CF.... well, and the size.

http://www.advantech.com/products/Mo...ZQW&BU=ACG&PD=

Comment

Ok, you said you installed XP on the target system on a regular HDD. So from that XP installation format and partition the CF card with NTFS marking it active.

I think the problem is that you're converting it from FAT32 to NTFS.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                        VoomPC 2

Comment

What CF card are you using? Probably MBR issue.

FAT32 -> NTFS might be another issue. Not all CF cards can run with NTFS. The Sandisk Ultra II card I'm testing works well with NTFS. I barely get disk checks.

Comment

Ok, you said you installed XP on the target system on a regular HDD. So from that XP installation format and partition the CF card with NTFS marking it active.

I think the problem is that you're converting it from FAT32 to NTFS.
                            Format it via Windows disk management?

I actually overwrote that windows installation on my regular HDD There was a copy of windows 98 on there and I did an "upgrade" of XP from within Windows from my USB HDD... I can't hook up a CD-Rom to the mini board because I don't have a 3 connector IDE cable for it (small laptop size...)

Comment

Originally posted by DIGItonium View Post
                              What CF card are you using? Probably MBR issue.

FAT32 -> NTFS might be another issue. Not all CF cards can run with NTFS. The Sandisk Ultra II card I'm testing works well with NTFS. I barely get disk checks.

Just a regular SanDisk 512MB

Comment

Working...
                              X