Installing XP on the SATA Flashdrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP on the SATA Flashdrive

its the same idea... but i had a question so when i have all the programs the way i want them, like all my media programs.... and so forth, and my XP is nlited, has the WEF and the Minilogn thingy all setup on my hd, i want do to the steps in the stiky guide, but when i want to copy over basically the C: drive, do i use the BACKUP command in dos to completely copy the system or what do i use?? Also once the xp has been copied over to the CF card, do i want to delte those DOS bootup files???

Originally posted by ambush276 View Post
    its the same idea... but i had a question so when i have all the programs the way i want them, like all my media programs.... and so forth, and my XP is nlited, has the WEF and the Minilogn thingy all setup on my hd, i want do to the steps in the stiky guide, but when i want to copy over basically the C: drive, do i use the BACKUP command in dos to completely copy the system or what do i use?? Also once the xp has been copied over to the CF card, do i want to delte those DOS bootup files???
    so you want to clone your hard drive?
    CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

i want to be able to take my harddrive and just basically exactly copy it to the CF card so it boots really fast. The original HD will be reformatted, but i will boot and run of the CF card. What do i need to do once i have everything installed on teh HD plus BOotvis, Minlogn, and EWF? How do i copy that exact HD

Comment

i want to be able to take my harddrive and just basically exactly copy it to the CF card so it boots really fast. The original HD will be reformatted, but i will boot and run of the CF card. What do i need to do once i have everything installed on teh HD plus BOotvis, Minlogn, and EWF? How do i copy that exact HD
        thats easy just get a hard drive cloning software such as HDClone (it's free!) if you search the forums i have posted a link in a post i made somewhere otherwise just google it, it'l be on the 1st page of results!
        CarPuter Progress:

Comment

Understand that you're not going to get much of a performance increase (if any at all) by boothing from a flash drive.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

cf card i mean, through IDE or SATA than what will get me that faster boot time...

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              Understand that you're not going to get much of a performance increase (if any at all) by boothing from a flash drive.
              Maybe not speed, but depending on where you live, in cold weather, you will at least boot!

Comment

what will give me the most boot up speed performance, that is really obviously what i really want to do.

Comment

cf card i mean, through IDE or SATA than what will get me that faster boot time...
                  Neither, as far as I know. Perhaps some of the CF experts could weigh in on this.
                  what will give me the most boot up speed performance, that is really obviously what i really want to do.
                  A 10,000rpm hard drive.
                  However, they suck lots of power, so aren't a good choice for a vehicle installation.
                  Originally posted by liftn View Post
                  Maybe not speed, but depending on where you live, in cold weather, you will at least boot!
                  Very, very true.
                  However, that has nothing to do with what the OP is asking about.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

so really the CF card is not going to give me a faster boot time. I need a 10,000 RPM HD? Im not sure what to think? I was told originally that a CF card will give me a faster boot time.. But now im not so sure.....,

Comment

so really the CF card is not going to give me a faster boot time. I need a 10,000 RPM HD? Im not sure what to think? I was told originally that a CF card will give me a faster boot time.. But now im not so sure.....,
                      Typical modern laptop is 5400rpm, desktop 7200rpm, not sure what a CF would give you. Only advantage is they use less power, and silent from what ive read anyway
                      CarPuter Progress:

Comment

Originally posted by jonessc View Post
                        Typical modern laptop is 5400rpm, desktop 7200rpm, not sure what a CF would give you. Only advantage is they use less power, and silent from what ive read anyway
                        And smaller, and more shock resistant. And lower seek times, so faster where you have bad access patterns across the disk (but slower in raw streaming throughput). And they eventually die if you write too much to them.

If you want a fast boot, look at hibernate or suspend, also consider HORM. Strip down your system as much as possible, turn off stuff you don't use (network is a good one to go).

I unzip windows from a flash disc into a ramdisk and boot from there. That is quite fast (17 seconds cold boot including POST, Win98SE).
                        Old Systems retired due to new car
                        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

well I think im going to do Nlited XP, EWF, Minlogon, and use a 4 GB CF card, with the IDE adapter. I do not think the SATA adapter will have improved performance, then you suggest installing HORM. I will problably get the MX1 PSU for the Micro ATX motherboard, is there a way to config HORM with that as well. My front end is also centrafuse.

Is this going to be a fast Setup ( the CF card has X266 Speed)

Comment

Use HORM Manager Lite from Wechsler Consulting. It's a simple GUI for enabling/disabling EWF and HORM so you don't have to use command line all the time.

http://www.wechslernet.com/english/Produkte.htm

My personal experience has been that HORM actually slows down my boot/shutdown time, probably since I like to have more RAM on my system. There is always that hibernation loading time, and if the system is optimized you can kind of circumvent that.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                              Use HORM Manager Lite from Wechsler Consulting. It's a simple GUI for enabling/disabling EWF and HORM so you don't have to use command line all the time.

http://www.wechslernet.com/english/Produkte.htm

Do you still need to do all the manual registry hacks to enable HORM in the first place or does that tool do everything? I am running XPP on the carputer, it would be nice to have a tool that sets HORM up from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X