Xp Pro install crashes on disk examining. HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xp Pro install crashes on disk examining. HELP

I purchased a new car pc a few weeks ago and i've been having problems installing xp. I'm pretty sure this is a software related problem because it occurs with 3 different PSUs and 3 different HD's. The only hardware component that hasnt been switched is the RAM. I boot the xp pro dvd and everything runs fine until The bottom grey bar reads "Examining 57603MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0". At this point the computer either freezes on that screen or reboots itself. This happens with both XP pro dvd and windows xp media center cd. The only real constants here are the motherboard, the RAM which i dont have a spare to test with... and the fact that each harddrive.. be it a 2.5 or 3.5 drive.. has data of some sort on it. I'm normally pretty good with troubleshooting thes situatiosn but days or trying to do the same thing really has me stumped.. any ideas?
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

I had something similar once, belive it or not, turned out to be my processor...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
      I had something similar once, belive it or not, turned out to be my processor...
      i'm running memtest now on the ram but i honestly think it might be the board.. so many components have been switched around and its still the same result. If this memory checks out this board will be goin back to the mp3car store. Thank god they have next day shipping since i'm so close!

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
        I had one recently that was the processor also.
        The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

pentium m?
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

the one on my board is a 1.3ghz embedded celeron.

Comment

Good call on checkin the RAM. If the ram is ok, try using sum different ide cables.

Comment

i've already switched ide cables it made no difference.. and in an interesting turn of events i can now not even complete the memtest... it runs for like 5 seconds then reboots. So is it a memory issue then?

Comment

sounds like it. take it to local computer shop (not bestbuy) and see if they can try another stick of memory for you. they prolly wont charge you.

Comment

yea i'll try that. I woulda thought i had another stick with all the computers i have but this is honestly the first with 240 pin DDR2 533mhz ram. they really needa start simplifying all the freakin abbrevations lol.

Comment

ha yeah! good luck. let us know what happens.

Comment

Turned out the culprit was the RAM module and not software related. The Intel D201GLY board does not accept High-Density RAM modules.. which means i wasted 24 bucks on this one.. but circuit city has compatible 1GB modules on sale for 44 bucks so i dont feel as bad

Comment

Working...
                        X