Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car PC backup questions.

Hi,

I'm new to the idea of "backing up" with full image backups like Acronis True Image.

If I got to best buy and buy one of the external hardrives that is larger than my current car pc......

can I use Acronis to back up a "complete full PC image backup" on the external hardrive so that If my current car pc hardrive crashes, I can actually switch it with the backed up hardrive?

will xp really boot up? could I just take apart the external hardrive and hook it up by IDE so that it will boot properly?

sorry for the newbie question.

Originally posted by Snortonnorton View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the idea of "backing up" with full image backups like Acronis True Image.

If I got to best buy and buy one of the external hardrives that is larger than my current car pc......

can I use Acronis to back up a "complete full PC image backup" on the external hardrive so that If my current car pc hardrive crashes, I can actually switch it with the backed up hardrive?

will xp really boot up? could I just take apart the external hardrive and hook it up by IDE so that it will boot properly?

sorry for the newbie question.
    I used a bootable cd version of linux to image my hard drive (its free). I connected the car computer to the network and mounted a network file share and copied it that way. No need for an external hard drive. Yes, if you restore it, it should boot fine. i was able to boot the image on my computer in VMWare too.
    Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

ok, i just want to make sure that it really is a true image, acronis says that it can even backup your OS. but I find that amazing, because you know how usually you have to install windows if you switch a motherboard? I figured you could never trick windows into backing up an image of windows.

so these external hardrives, they are usb so how to I change them to IDE for when I want to replace a failed car pc hardrive?

Comment

not sure about Acronis, but I know Ghost copies all the files into a compressed image file with a .gho extension. This image is NOT bootable, and must use Ghost to restore it to a drive before booting.

I use a windows PE bootcd and an external drive. Network share for me is too slow at 54mbps speeds to restore an image that's upwards of 4gb+.

Comment

the dd command will make an exact copy of your drive or partition.
          Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

Working...
          X