Stripping XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping XP

I just ordered a scan cable for my computer. I'm getting a used laptop that has XP on it for free basically; only coming with the power cable. I want to basically strip XP down so everything I don't need is removed. The laptop will be solely for car scanning/tuning, taking notes of said scans/tunes, and web-browsing for troubleshooting. I'm buying a wireless card for it, so I can get onto my network from my driveway. I've looked into TinyXP, nLite, etc etc, but they all require a Windows disk. I don't have one, just the previously installed OS on the system; I'm not even sure if it has a CD Burner to create a back-up ISO. Any tips/advice/programs to minimize load times and get rid of unnecessary utilities?
    1997 3.8L M5 Camaro: Too many mods :evil:
    235RWHP/232RWTQ

TinyXp Doesn't need a disc, you just download it and install it like you would normally except you do not need a serial number.

Comment

1 - Add/Remove Programs
      2 - MSCONFIG
      3 - Computer Management console
      4 - Regedit (tread VERY lightly there, and then ONLY if you know what you're doing!)
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Alright, I'm downloading TinyXP. If that doesn't work, I'll just clean everything up lke Darque recommended.
        235RWHP/232RWTQ

Comment

or, you could leave it alone and see if it meets your needs....
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
            or, you could leave it alone and see if it meets your needs....
            It's my g/f's old Laptop. HP, IIRC. Anyways, the boot time for it is horribly long, and I've tried cleaning it up best I could without removing her necessary programs. She got a new one, so she said I can have this one. Like I said, I just want it to do the listed stuff and do it all quickly. I already have the necessary programs, and 2 other laptops and a desktop, so I won't be losing anything. I want this to be a portable scanner basically, with a few extra troubleshooting/logging features; take it to a buddy's house and scan his car, and then troubleshoot online why it's acting the way it is, etc etc, and having to wait 2-3 minutes just for it to boot every time will become annoying and quick.
            235RWHP/232RWTQ

Comment

in case its of use to anyone else with the same idea...

theres always these people

http://www.litepc.com/

sorry to bring up an old thread! plus isn't tiny xp just a pirated stripped down xp? not sure how this forum responds to such things...

Comment

Working...
              X