Minlogon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minlogon

For the instruction with Minlogo I have to install the trial of XPE and pull it out, is there a easyer way to do this without screwing up my install of xp right now? My setup right now is just a normal copy of XP because I keep it in hibernate anyway so It rarely gets restarted so the bloating isn't that big of a problem but Id like to skip all the welcome screen and stuff.

You can grab the minlogon files from http://thuun.boot-land.net/index.html so you don't have to download xpe and go through that rigmoral, however if you just want to log on automatically when booting, take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ips/knox2.mspx
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Ok on the instructions it said
      Next modify the registry on the XP system by changing the "Config" value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key to be 0x17.

Which file in the Winlogon area am I changing to 0x17?

Comment

You don't need to manually change anything. Just double click the registry file included in that download. It will ask you to confirm, select yes and it will make the changes for you.

Make sure you rename winlogon.exe to winlogon.exe.bak in the system32 folder, copy minlogon.exe from the download to the system 32 folder and then rename it to winlogon.exe before restarting.

Comment

There is no registry file with the download.

Just the minlogon.inf and the minlogon.exe

Comment

Ahh bugger, it used to have it in there...

Try this:

Create a file called minlogon.reg and using notepad copy the following text:
            Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
            "Config"=dword:00000017
            Save the file and run it. Now the reg entries should have been imported.

Comment

Ok restarted but it didn't seem like it did anything? Should my welcome screen still come up?

Comment

No, your welcome screen shouldn't come up.

Make sure you do the following:
                - Goto windows\system32 and rename winlogon.exe to winlogon.exe.bak
                - Copy minlogon.exe from the download to windows/system32/
                - Rename minlogon.exe to winlogon.exe
                - On your desktop, create a .txt , open it and copy the following text:
                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
                "Config"=dword:00000017
                - Save as minlogon.txt
                - rename minlogon.txt to minlogon.reg
                - open minlogon.reg and click yes when it asks for permission
                - Reboot.

The first time you reboot it will be slow as it builds the user account, after that it should be a little quicker

Comment

Everytime I rename winlogon.exe it creates a new one.

Comment

Turn off Windows File Protection.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/790

Comment

I am on SP3 and plus on the instructions it said change the code in offset 0000E3BB but the only thing I have in my file close to it is 0000E3BB.

Comment

try the Replacer, no need to mess with hex crap.

http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/

Comment

I had trouble getting this installed as well.

nothing would work for me, I eventually found a second copy of winlogon in this folder : (c:\windows\system32\dllcache)

delete it before you do the replace, then when you click cancel it and say to keep the modified version of the file, it will work.

Regards, -Jake

Comment

Working...
                          X