HOWTO: Modifying "Resuming windows" hibernation screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO: Modifying "Resuming windows" hibernation screen

After reading excellent posting about customizing text and bitmap on the "resuming windows" screen, here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/306672-post12.html, I made an extra step forward and found how to get rid of the ugly progress bar.

This progress bar is made of characters 0xDB (full) and 0xDE (empty) from system "Terminal" font. All you need to do is:

- Open "C:\ntldr" in binary editor (see the post above on how to do it considering attributes, safety and write protection).

- Scroll down until you reach the area with all the text messages (it's in last 10% of the file, typically starting with "Windows could not start...").

- From that point on - look for DB and DE hex characters (WARNING: the characters should be very close to the end of file, about 100 bytes from the end; don't let the editor to restart search from the beginning of the file)

- Replace both characters with single space

- Save, replace the system original "ntldr" and enjoy - you now have pure-plack resuming screen!

Tried it out tonight and it worked perfectly, now my resume from hibernation is completely black!

Comment

i believe this thread deserve to be sticked!
      project progress:
      Planning.......[--------X-] 90%
      Parts............[-------X--] 80%
      Fabrication....[------X---] 75%
      Installation...[-------X--] 80%
      Worklog

Comment

Thats cool. I'll give it a try
        I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

If not done correctly, this is a good way to completely hose your Windoze install.
          Use extreme caution.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Doesn't work with EWF NTLDR
            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

It probably does. The EWF NTLDR uses the same font and displays the exact same loading bar, you probably just modified the wrong spot. It could be in a different location in the EWF file.
              2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
              Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
              Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
              The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Or EWF is doing what EWF does and the updated file is not getting written to the physical disk. Are you committing the changes to the protected volume?

Comment

I've had the same issue with EWF turned off.
                  After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                  New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Have you guys tried modifying it before copying it over? I mean modifying the EWF NTLDR on a normal system and then copying it when you do your install.
                    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

I haven't. It was a one-shot deal for me. If I got it done, I got it done. If not, I really don't need it. Spent enough time running wires.
                      After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                      New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

A screen shot of the file and location of the text would set this thread to golden
                        You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by borka View Post
                          After reading excellent posting about customizing text and bitmap on the "resuming windows" screen, here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/306672-post12.html, I made an extra step forward and found how to get rid of the ugly progress bar.

This progress bar is made of characters 0xDB (full) and 0xDE (empty) from system "Terminal" font. All you need to do is:

- Open "C:\ntldr" in binary editor (see the post above on how to do it considering attributes, safety and write protection).

- Scroll down until you reach the area with all the text messages (it's in last 10% of the file, typically starting with "Windows could not start...").

- From that point on - look for DB and DE hex characters (WARNING: the characters should be very close to the end of file, about 100 bytes from the end; don't let the editor to restart search from the beginning of the file)

- Replace both characters with single space

- Save, replace the system original "ntldr" and enjoy - you now have pure-plack resuming screen!
                          I have been able to get rid of all the text, but looking to get rid of the bar also. I dont know anything about hex, and searching for DE or DB there are 100's of them in the file. How do I know which ones are which? Anyone have any better instructions on how to do this?
                          1997 Acura CL (Capacitive Touch, GPS, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera)

Comment

Working...
                          X