Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to automatically shutdown XP after it goes to standby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to automatically shutdown XP after it goes to standby?

Hello and Happy New Year,

I am building a carputer using my laptop. To make the long story short I like how easily the computer goes into standby and comes out of it once a pulse is initiated at the power switch. But I would like to have it shutdown after a certain amount of time when it is on standby. I know in XP's power options I can set a predetermined time for it to go into hibernation after it goes to standby. But I do not see the point to have it hibernate all night in the car wasting the laptop's battery juice when the boot up times are almost the same as the ones coming from hibernation. A shutdown option with time settings is not displayed in power options, so my choices are limited to standby and hibernate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You know hibernation draws 0 power? It's off. Just has a saved state to go back to on wake up. The 10 second start up to save state isn't going to waste much battery..

Sorry if I missed the point to your post.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that in hibernation there is current drawn from the battery.
      Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baritono View Post
        Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that in hibernation there is current drawn from the battery.
        Thank you for clearing this up for me.
        When you use Standby, it keeps the memory in RAM and therefore has to keep the RAM powered because it's volatile memory. With hibernation it takes the memory from RAM and writes it to the disk, then shuts down. When it wakes, it takes that information from disk and writes it back to RAM again.

So no, when you use hibernation, your computer is off. There is no current draw.
        Ampie Case
        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
        X