FAT or FAT32

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAT or FAT32

I still haven't been able to successfully set my system up on a CF card. It still dies after loading all the drivers during the XP boot up process. I have been formating my CF card with FAT32 though.
    Is this a problem? Does MS say it has to be FAT?

This is definitelly a root cause. FAT or FAT32, no difference. In any case, FAT32 only pays off with drives bigger then 4 GB.

Comment

I've been using FAT32
      EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
      VoomPC 2

Comment

Damn. And MS says your fine with removable media as long as your using ram reg mode EWF.
        I have not been able to get this Lexar working at all.

Comment

2 gigs, btw, not 4.

Up to a meg, fat12. A meg to 2 gigs, Fat16. 2gigs to 8gigs, Fat32. 8 gigs and up, Fat32x.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
            2 gigs, btw, not 4.

Up to a meg, fat12. A meg to 2 gigs, Fat16. 2gigs to 8gigs, Fat32. 8 gigs and up, Fat32x.
            Slight correction, FAT32 doesn't do large drives (at least not on XP. I just formated a 30 gigger and fat32 wasn't an option (whish it was, its a bit faster then ntfs)

Comment

Fat32 does do large drives, XP won't format drives larger than 32GB to use Fat32. So, it's a limitation of WinXP. Never heard of Fat32x though...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fil_nmnx.asp

# FAT12 uses a 12-bit file allocation table entry (2^12 clusters).
              # FAT16 uses a 16-bit file allocation table entry (2^16 clusters).
              # FAT32 uses a 32-bit file allocation table entry. However, FAT32 reserves the first 4 bits of a FAT32 file allocation table entry, which means FAT32 has a theoretical maximum of 2^28 clusters.
              "I'm a dick!"
              "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

Comment

Large drives can be formatted Fat32 just fine, XP just decides not to make it an option. Using a tool like partition magic or Ghost, you can do it no problem.

After I posted, I remembered that not many people outside of the data recovery business have heard of the FAT32 vs. FAT32X distinction. It's an internal format that's rolled into the general term 'Fat32' these days. Back when I did data recovery work over the phone at Symantec with Diskedit, it was an important difference.
                Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                http://hallert.net/

Comment

Working...
                X