Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minlogon - wireless issue

I will give a bit of background to the problem:

Installed a clean xp pro sp2 on the car pc (with NO nlite)
    setup wireless network fully functioning
    used minlogon hack

After doing the hack i cannot connect to the home pc via the car pc, but I can access the car pc via the home pc.

I have tried setting up a new connection using windows wireless wizzard app, but with no luck.

Im sure there is some simple permission somewhere that needs to be changed, or is it a downside of using minlogon.

Thanks in advance

Nath

I'm guessing your not running any firewall in your car but have one on the home pc? That might explain the one way transfer. It could be a problem with windows firewall. Try disabling it. I agree it's probably a simple permission, sometimes finding it isn't so simple though.lol

Comment

Hey there,

Not sure but on Windows PE, which is the Windows Preinstallation environment it is only possible to do a connection one way similar to what you say. I'm doing some work testing my minlogon setup etc, my Windows install is 215MB at the moment but without a frontend ..... the system is going in the car this weekend and will be tested thoroughly.

I'm sure that there will be a way around this somehow but its just finding it ....

Comment

Thanks for the quick responce.

All firewalls are disabled, forgot to list that!!
        Could it be something to do with the router? even though it worked prior to the minlogon hack?

Comment

I have found this, from what i understand networking is not supported but it can be implemented:
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...E_Security.asp

Im pretty sure its a good starting point. I dont have any knowledge with manipulating such things but im gonna look into it. Any help from anyone will be great.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Spent a couple of hours doing some ing and it turns out this is not a wireless issue, it's an authentication problem. Minlogon logs you into the a system account that appears to have limited abilities. I'll leave it at that because I still am a bit fuzzy on what can and can not be done with minlogon...

Anyhow the solution to the problem is to do the following when mapping to a drive.

Select the connect using a different name option and include the computer name when specifying the user.

User: <computername>\ <username>
            Password: <enter your password>

For example on my home network I my server is called "isis" and my user name on that system is "horus"

User: isis\horus
            Password: ********

That's it...
            Carputer installed!!!
            Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

i automatically get the windows authentication login when I try to access a network drive, but I wonder why you don't...
              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
              VoomPC 2

Comment

The authentication screen was working for me, it was the fact that I wasn't using the <computername>/<user> format in the user field that was causing problems. If I used the user name only and password windows comes back with the following error...

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
                A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated"

Has anyone else seen this error?
                Carputer installed!!!
                Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

momanz,

The solution you offer does not work for me!
                  When I use another user i get an error saying that the drive is already mapped and to disconnect any other mapping to this drive. When you try to disconnect mapping i get an error saying there are no mapped drives?
                  Im gonna start over again i think and start from scratch.

Comment

Garb-e,

I had the same error come up the first time I tried the above soln. I made sure that all drives were disconnected, rebooted and it worked.
                    Carputer installed!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help, after alot of messin about its finally working.
                      Just incase anyone else is struggling I set up a new admin user with password on the host computer and it all worked fine.

momanz, when you restart your machine do you have to put in a password for the first time? if not, do you know how to get around it? I have searched around to no avail.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah, everytime I reboot windows remembers the user name but I have to enter the password for the share. I seem to recall that on other systems there is a check box in the logon window that asks if you want to save the password. This checkbox is absent on my logon window. It may be an aritfact of using minlogon or I may have a needed service disabled. I haven't really looked into yet. If you use hibernation to power down windows will remember that you are logged on. I'll post a reply if I come across a solution.
                        Carputer installed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GARB-E
                          Thanks for the help, after alot of messin about its finally working.
                          Just incase anyone else is struggling I set up a new admin user with password on the host computer and it all worked fine.

momanz, when you restart your machine do you have to put in a password for the first time? if not, do you know how to get around it? I have searched around to no avail.

Cheers
                          To save yourself the trouble of having to type out the username and password everytime you reboot, you could always create a batchfile to create a drive mapping for you. Use the "net use" command as follows:

NET USE X: \\computername\sharename /USER:computername\username password

And if you were to create a drive mapping with Windows Map drive feature, and specify to "reconnect at logon" and "connect using a different user name", it will remember your mapping for you with every reboot.

99 Ford Ranger - Bagged and laying frame

Current Carputer project:
                          Done:
                          Custom mounted 7" LCD w/ TSK in radio bezel
                          Custom center console for relocated headunit
                          Via Epia M10000
                          GPS
                          MP3
                          OPUS PSU
                          DVD

Comment

For some reason the command does not work correctly using minlogon.
                            It works for the first time but when the computer is rebooted and then the command is run again you are posed with a question saying that the connection has been remembered and do you wish to overwite it. If you say yes the connection gets denied and is totally lost. If you decline the connection remains but you still have to input the password!

The same thing happens with windows logon using another user with respect to putting in the password.

Any ideas?

Comment

I've also tried the net use command before with the same result. The password is not stored.
                              Carputer installed!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X