Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'v had a thought! - Make Hibernation Better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'v had a thought! - Make Hibernation Better?

My computer can come out of hibernation in under 10 seconds, so I've decided I'l use hibernation as my methord of powering down.

Anyway, Would it be possible to use the same hibernation file(memory dump) everytime windows is woken up?

benifits:
    extreamly quick powerdown
    same boot times everytime.

cons:
    are they any? If I'm using same hibernation file each boot, then memory not going to get clogged up, like it would in normal hibernation. (i read sumwer)

would appreciate peoples views on this.

mick.

I'd thought of that...

If you happend to delete the file it simply wouldnt play.

would puting computer into hibernation, just at the end of the last song, with random selected, select a random track each time computer is resumed?

mick

Comment

See the EWF/minlogon thread. Using components from XPe it's possible to achieve what you want.
      2004 4runner

Comment

I think we need to put a sticky up or something, because a lot of people don't realize what we've got going on here. Anyways, yeah using EWF we can create a hibernate once, resume many (HORM) image. I haven't checked yet, but I imagine that you can do it even without making the filesystem readonly since it's just the special version of NTLDR that does it. If that's the case then the frontend could always update a file with the last action (playing mp3, video, radio, etc.) and then on resume it should always read that file to see what it should load up. But that's up to the frontend developers.
        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Your right, we just need frontend support for this kind of thing.

Comment

Just installed EWF ...

It does exactly what i wanted .... thanks.

mick.

Comment

yeah...i just stumbled uppon the EWF HORM document.

Awesome work guy!

STICKy please..

one question though.
              does EWF and HORM improve hibernation times or just boot times
              mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
              Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

If I make changes with ewf enabled... can I then commit the changes afterwards, by typing, ewfmgr c: -commit -live ??

mick.

Comment

ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable -live
                  ewfmgr C: -enable
                  EWF will then be enabled on the next restart.

Comment

I just thought it would be nice to commit changes without having to restart.

cant have everything eh

mick.

Comment

-commitanddisable -live commits your changes right then and there, no restart needed. you need to restart in order to re-enable EWF after you give the -enable command.
                      EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito
                        .......Anyways, yeah using EWF we can create a hibernate once, resume many (HORM) image. I haven't checked yet, but I imagine that you can do it even without making the filesystem readonly since it's just the special version of NTLDR that does it......

Does anyone knows if this works?
                        I'm using a normal windows XP SP2 install and I'm only want to use HORM
                        is this possible? I don't need to lockup my pc wit EWF etc..

Comment

Just wondering why you guys care how fast your computer powers down?
                          AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                          Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                          Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                          -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito
                            I think we need to put a sticky up or something, because a lot of people don't realize what we've got going on here. Anyways, yeah using EWF we can create a hibernate once, resume many (HORM) image. I haven't checked yet, but I imagine that you can do it even without making the filesystem readonly since it's just the special version of NTLDR that does it. If that's the case then the frontend could always update a file with the last action (playing mp3, video, radio, etc.) and then on resume it should always read that file to see what it should load up. But that's up to the frontend developers.
                            I'd love to be able to do this. I like having all the system info stored in memory (saving writes to the HD) but hate having to rebuild a playlist every time I get in the car. I remember someone working on a way to commit just a single file to a readonly partition. I tried installing my frontend on another partition that wasn't protected so the playlist file would be written. But it creates bad sectors on the drive anytime I try to write anything to the unprotected partition when EWF is enabled on the protected one. Why does this happen?

Same HD two partitions.
                            One protected, one not.
                            Neither are writable when just one is readonly with EWF.

Comment

Working...
                            X