Sandisk Extreme III cannot be set to fixed disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandisk Extreme III cannot be set to fixed disk

That's it. That's all I have to say. I asked Sandisk tech support. That's what they told me.
    That doesn't mean an extreme III won't work. It means you can't have more than 1 partition on it, which means you can't keep config files on a partition not protected by EWF, which means you're system will not remember anything regarding state(ie, last song played etc..), which means....
    ummm. nothing else I guess.
    For this means the Sandisk Extreme is the solution, not the extreme III. You may have a different preference.

old news dude....

They told me it doesn't look like they plan on ever releasing one. Then I asked about their "industrial" cards and apparently the ExtremeIII is even faster than those (oh, and I looked up price of some of those industrial cards...pretty sick prices: $250 to $350). There's also the m-systems uDOC that is coming out soon which may be another interesting solution and is supposedly even faster than the ExtremeIII.
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

I thought you said they never got back to you. That's why I asked them.
      Now Sandisk has my email address so I can get harrassed by one more company.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to post the update on this forum (too many different websites I post to). Anyways, their industrial cards are basically super rugged versions of the Extreme cards that come preconfigured as fixed disk. I don't know if they'll be making industrial versions of the ExtremeIII though (they didn't answer that question). It would make sense to do so, but who knows when that'll happen. The only issue I haven't fixed yet is that ACPI on XP chokes when using a removable drive. I even checked this with the UltraII set as removable. Basically the system just freezes (different from your minlogon ACPI thing though). It may not be such an issue since it boots up so fast, but I was actually thinking of always keeping my system in stand-by for X amount of time before killing power. We'll see...

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        VoomPC 2

Comment

The carnetix psu has standby support. Also has a battery safety feature.. If the battery drains too low it cuts power..

And with EWF, you don't have to worry about cutting power.. So with the carnetix you can stay in standyby as long as your battery is good. Then it cuts off. No need to try and pick a timeout.

I'm using it now, not with the standby feature though. Mine's a bit older. It's worth looking into.

Comment

yeah, the opus has it too and they've got a timer as well. i've been spending so much time on the software side that i haven't had any time to put my system back in the car and mess with the psu settings. My system used to run off the laptop drive until I figured out the EWF thing and it's been out of the car since. I also need to get around on deciding what to do about my screen. I had started working on making a flush in-dash mount for my screen, but I'm a computer guy not a "handyman" so the dash came out like ****.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
            X